Ways to keep peafowl cool?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by SDpeafowl, Jul 18, 2011.

1. SDpeafowl

SDpeafowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    South Dakota
    What are some ways of keeping peafowl cool during the hot summer months? This week is supposed to be miserably hot. Right now it is 99 with a heat index of 117!!! All the birds are "panting" and look miserable. Thanks for any help.

2. little blue

little blue Chillin' with my Orps

Jul 11, 2010
    Mansfield, CT
    last year when it was hot out i would take ice cubes and put them in there water to keep it cold instead of warm [​IMG]

3. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    I don't know much about peafowl, other than they are beautiful and I wish I could have some. That said,

Can you freeze some milk jugs with water and leave them out to cozy up to? Maybe even set one up in front of a fan to create "air conditioning." Lots of shade too. A kiddie pool with an inch or two of water that they can walk thru?

4. little blue

little blue Chillin' with my Orps

Jul 11, 2010
    Mansfield, CT
    when my peacocks where young i used to put a fan in there coop and they loved it

5. bella1210

bella1210 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    ct
    Quote:little blue is my sister and yes we put ice cubes in there water bottles and they would stay cold and that really helps and we also did put fans and that would really help to

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  6. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

delete

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  7. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    We buy a pack of ice from the gas station and put half of it in their water and leave the rest for them to sit on in a shady spot. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't, sometimes they cozy up to the cold water bucket instead. My two favorites come over and let me put little ice cubes under their feathers around the shoulders so the meltwater drips and cools them, but that probably won't work for most people.

8. SunBaked

SunBaked Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Southwest
    I make sure they have nice deep shade, a few wading pans of water and I spray down the pens twice a day. My hubby promises to build me a mister system soon [​IMG]. So far I've never had anything die in the heat and I am in southern Arizona it gets 110+ here.

9. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Quote:We did the kiddie pool of water earlier in the year... but it grew algae in like a day even if we dumped and filled it [​IMG] so we had to take it away from them- not because they weren't using it, but because the birds were turning green! [​IMG]

10. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    mine have shade , good natural air flow thru pens.........just fresh air...they do take the heat alot better than chicken, never had any trouble them getting to hot....we had heat index of 105...been a very hot year .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by