1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ways to tell sex of easter eggers

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by StellaLenoir, Jan 7, 2008.

1. StellaLenoir

StellaLenoir Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2007
    I have three chicks, that are a bit over 5 weeks old. They were listed at the feed store as Ameraucana.

What are some ways to tell the girls from boys?

Is the color of the comb, a good way?

What about tail length?
    Here is a pic of 1 of the 2 I fear may be roosters. It is the chick with the whitish grey head. Any thoughts?

This chick and one other have longer tails ( but the tails are still at the messy growing stage), and pinker combs, but no waddles, and no spurs yet.
    The feathers do not look more pointy, and there is no curve yet to the tail feathers.

[​IMG]

When can I expect to hear crowing if they are male?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

They will be just like any other chicken when it comes to secondary sex characteristics. Just harder since they don't have big single combs that grow like weeds. Pink combs before 12 weeks old almost always slates you for a little boy. Slower feather growth may indicate boy, but that is a further stretch. Crows can be anywhere from 12 weeks to 6 months. Depends on the bird too when and how much they will crow. Good luck [​IMG]

3. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Looks like a rooster to me. I do always have a hard time sexing my EEs though. I had one that looked like a sure roo for the longest time...until I got an egg. She eve had pointed feathers and everything.

Unfortunately, the coloring of yours leads me to believe it is a boy. Do you have pictures of the other ones?

4. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  5. BlueMoon

BlueMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Scenic Verbank, NY
    Looks like three hens and a roo to me. Are you sure the hens are Amerucanas though? We have 15 and none have coloring similar to yours.
    I'll look thru last year's Chick Picts and add one if you can see the beard/muff coming in, with the age of the chick.

6. BlueMoon

BlueMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Scenic Verbank, NY
    [​IMG]

See the white and black more decorated bird at the far end of the feeder? That's RockStar, an Amerucana Roo. All are aged 6 - 7 weeks here. The blackish barred ones are Dominique hens, the black with lemony yellow are Java hens and all else are Amerucana hens, including the white one. She's the only one without a beard, so I reckon you should be able to see beards by next week, if not already. Also, they have very fluffy butts.

Just your hens look more like something else (Buff Orpingtons? New Hampshires? Rhode Islands?) than Amerucanas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by