Wayward Dove or Pigeon needs good home

12 Acres

Songster
11 Years
Mar 23, 2008
Oak Harbor, OH
This beautiful dove or pigeon (not sure what he is) landed on our lawn last night. I raise chickens and ducks, so this type of bird is not my area of expertise. We gave him some cracked corn and he roosted on the barn roof overnight. I was hoping he'd fly off and go back home today but he to want to stay. My husband brought him into the garage tonight and put him in a large cage that we keep for animal emergencies. There are violent storms approaching tonight and hubs didn't want him to weather the storms. It's obvious that this bird is used to being in a cage. It took him a while to figure out how to drink from our pond last night! He has an orange plastic leg band but there are no numbers visible on it. I think he may be a pet or a 4-H project.

Anyway, I have no interest in getting into doves/pigeons so can some kind soul out there help us out and adopt this sweet little guy or direct us to an organization or club? We think he's a juvenile and he's very strong and healthy.

7813_dove.jpg

7813_dove-eating.jpg

7813_dove1.jpg

It's a blue bar sadlle, racing type homer.
It is probably not a race bird. Most serious racers use mostly blue bars and checks with the occasional ash red bird.
I have a bunch of pigeons that are nearly identical to it.
It looks like it's weight is down quite a bit, so it it has probably been lost for a while.
Good luck finding it a home.
Keith
http://freewebs.com/kjcii/

Also to far but i've heard cracked corn is harmful to pigeons might try hole if you have any i always fed srach grain that had cracked in it to the shooter/roller crosses i had and the only thing it affected that i noticed was that i never got squabs so i'm not sure if this is true but i was informed that cracked corn causes pigeon to become crop bound

Thanks for all the resonses. It's interesting to learn about these birds. I know nothing about them.

I finally tracked down a local club and someone is coming out Monday to get the pigeon. He/she is going to live in town with a young lad who is just getting into pigeons. It's good to know that he will go live with someone who will take care of him and workw ith him.

Back
Top Bottom