wazine 17 wormer

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Omran, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    hello evrybody.

How many days should I give the hens the worming medicene??

they did not write on the bottle [​IMG]

Thank you for any info.

Omran

2. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Hi,
    just one day, then repeat in 10 days. The first treatment kills adult worms & seconds kills any worms that may have hatched in between.

3. tim_TX

tim_TX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    I've included the dosage and frequency (every 4 weeks) information below. This information was produced by Flemming Labs, the manufacturer.

See the warning! I'm not sure about the withdrawl period. To be safe, I would call your county extension service or state animal health board.

CHICKENS - 4 to 6 weeks of age: for each 100 birds, use 1 fluid ounce (30 ml) of Wazine-17 in 1 U.S. gallon (3.8 liters) of drinking water.
    Over 6 weeks of age: for each 100 birds, use 2 fluid ounces (60 ml) of Wazine-17 in 2 U.S. gallons (7.6 liters) of drinking water.
    Treat broilers at 4 weeks of age and thereafter at 30 days, or as needed. Treat replacement pullets at 8, 12, and 16 weeks of age.

Warning
    Do not medicate prior to slaughter within 14 days for turkeys and chickens and 21 days for swine. Do not use in chickens producing eggs for human consumption.
    Restricted Drug - use only as directed

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I'm personally not a fan of worming unless you have confirmed an infestation. Any vet should be able to do a fecal float test and determine the type of worms and then you can get the right wormer for the job.

Then again I'm bias and have not wormed a bird in 10+ years of raising them for meat and eggs. Just feel that unless you find them, it's an unecessary drug to use if you are going to eat them or their eggs.

5. tim_TX

tim_TX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    I agree completely with Silkie. I have almost 200 hens and have been raising chickens for 20 years.

6. Omran

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:Thank you guys for quic response, the reason of my question is: that I found a worm in the poo of one of the hens after I seen her acting wiered and I seperated her from the others and put her in one gage in the garage.
    so do I need to give all of them the wormer? and when can I eat the eggs again?

thanks again

Omran

7. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

Quote:[​IMG]

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Have you identified the type of worm? If so, and the wormer works for them, I'd treat the entire flock as they are likly to all have it. However, I want to say you'll have to discard eggs for two weeks before using eggs again, since that's how long to wait after being safe to eat the meat. Of course, it's just a guess, since there's not really money in industry to worm layer birds and test for residue, since they are caged.

If it's just one hen with worms... perhaps a fecal float of the flock could be done first, as the one that is sick may have more than one thing going on, thus worms have taken advantage of the situation and infected her.

9. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    i give mine for 4 days in a row for every month thats what it says on my bottle

10. Omran

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:Thank yu very much.
    by the way just last week I drove by grayson KY going to WV to see my in low's.

Omran

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by