Wazine 3 days ago, worms in poop today??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sonya9, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Sonya9

Sonya9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    Three days ago I mixed up 1 gal of water with 2 Tablespoons of Wazine (which should be 1 oz). They drank the water off and on all day.

I didn't see any worms after dosing them but today I see a bunch of little half inch long worms in their poop again. Did it work? Is it supposed to take this long?

Are the half inch little white worms tapeworms that Wazine won't kill? They don't really look like worm segments and I am not a worm expert.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  2. Free Spirit

Free Spirit The Chiarian

Oct 21, 2015
    NWA
    My understanding is that Wazine only kills round worms. Without a picture your description leads me to think they are tape worms. Recommendation is to worm them again using Safeguard paste or liquid with the ingredient Fenbendazole.

But if they are round worms and they are dead then it could be the remaining worms in their systems finally being expelled.

1 person likes this.
  3. CLSranch

CLSranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    NE OK
    If you didn't have as many worms in the before dosing I'd call it the wormer working if so listen to free spirit. But always good to switch wormers such as a tapeworm specific one time Wazine the next. That's what I also do with the horses. Giving them a worming twice a season.

1 person likes this.
  4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Correct, wazine only kills roundworms. You need a broader spectrum wormer to get other types of worms. If you are seeing worms, then the birds are really overloaded.

1 person likes this.
  5. Sonya9

Sonya9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    Update I saw the worms again today and decided to get a better look and possibly take a photo for identification.

On close examination they are small, transparent, hollow and look an awful lot like bits of feather sheath from a molting chicken.

The worm crisis appears to be over!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by