Wazine and Eggs (worm medicine)

Sparklee

Songster
11 Years
Jul 28, 2008
Back of bottle of Wazine says that it's not for egg laying birds.

Folks here say to just wait 2 weeks and then eat the eggs because the wait time for butchering after using Wazine is two weeks.

However, there are more than two weeks worth of eggs in a hen that are developing and some breeding experts indicate that it takes 4 weeks to clear eggs fertilized by one rooster out of the hen before mating her with a new rooster.

So, of course, I could just wait 4 weeks after Wazine use. But I am wondering if anyone knows of any documentation showing why the Wazine bottle says that we shouldn't give Wazine to any egg layer. What do the manufacturers know?

Also, is there anyone that can point me to evidence that Wazine is out of an egg layer's eggs at two weeks after taking Wazine. I'd like maybe a notation in a Vetrinarian book or something like that.

Also, is there any documentation detailing the side effects of Wazine like there are for human drugs. You know, like on TV when they advertise a drug and then tell you that you may possible have kidney failure, asthma, hardening of the artieries, lymphoma, uncontrolled urination, etc.

Quote:
Oh, yeah. Great answer.

I bet this type of answer on bulletin boards has some sort of name. A lot of people relish giving this type of answer. Anyone know if it's got a name?

Of course, they won't be happy to answer my questions. Kinda like the way you weren't. ha. I can't imagine why you would think they'd by happy to answer my questions.

Also, is there anyone that can point me to evidence that Wazine is out of an egg layer's eggs at two weeks after taking Wazine. I'd like maybe a notation in a Vetrinarian book or something like that.

dawg gave you a good answer and I'm not sure why you took exception to it. The labs/makers of the products have the most accurate information and the "whys" for use of their products.

The truth is that NO wormers are really accepted for egg laying hens, none of them, though Wazine, which gets only roundworms, supposedly is approved for use in poultry...poultry in general, not necessarily egg laying hens. Factory farms do not worm, no need since birds never hit the ground. The FDA has no stake in researching anything for use by the backyard farmer. This is why we always use products off-label. I haven't even seen the answer to your question in the Merck Veterinary Manual. You may want to go to their site and research it. If it's not there, the manufacturer will be the next choice.​

Quote:
Okay. Thank you. Now I get why folks here at BYC will give this to their layers. It's very likely safe, but the manufacturer doesn't sell enough to folks with backyard layers (who are about the only people who might use it for layers) to make it economically feasible to have safety testing done for its use in backyard laying flocks. It's easier for them to just say that it's not for layers, and it doesn't appreciably hurt their pocketbook. And that explains the off-label use by BYCers. A-ha! Also explains why feed store flipped out when I asked about invermectin for follow up.

Thanks for explanation. Person who answers phone at manufacturer would have no reason to explain that to me even on the outside chance that they had the knowledge.

I learned alot about approval from the FDA in the past year due to another item. Seems that it takes years of research to get something approved for consumption by the FDA. In the mean time, it's not approved. Doesn't mean it's not safe, it's a disclaimer that has to be on the label law-wise.

And the amount for a chicken is most likely 1/100 of what it would be for a human adult weight.

I think the best way to find out more info is to research what docs use to treat humans for worms. Really.

Last edited:
I used wazine for my hens, and my grand daughter has a problem with store bought eggs I waited for 10 days then used safe guard and waited another 2 weeks and then started using the eggs with no problems to anyone in the house. I think since it is safe to eat butchered chicken 14 days later then the eggs should be fine after 2 weeks. If you are worried about using wazine then I would look into some natural preventives. Dawg really helped me when I had a major worm infestation I had to use a chemical de-wormer. Since commercial egg producers do not use a de-wormer then the company would really not have a reason to test it on egg laying hens not enough profit. I have read a lot of post from people who have used wazine and other products for a long time so I do trust their knowledge.

The bottle of Wazine I got from my local feed mill clearly states it's not for use for egg-laying chickens. The feed mill owner said she uses it, but doesn't eat the eggs for 2 weeks. I wormed my free ranging hens with it a month before they started to lay.

However, I copied this from someone else's post a week or so ago because I wanted to remember the name of the medicine and dosage. I'm sorry, I didn't copy the author's name to give proper credit, but here's what he/she said;

"I use Eprinex pour on cattle wormer twice a year. 1/2 cc for standard breeds and 1/4 cc for bantams. Push aside some feathers on back and apply. Has no withdrawal period for eggs."

Frankly, I don't care for the Wazine and plan on taking it to our township's yearly collection day for bad chemicals. From what I've read it's ineffective on most of the parasites chickens pick up, and I don't want to throw out 2 weeks' worth of production.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Back
Top Bottom