Wazine before Ivermectin a necessity?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jackie B., Jan 12, 2011.

1. Jackie B.

Jackie B. Paris Mtn. Eggs

May 13, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    I have a lethargic roo that is losing weight. He's isloated in the basement and the feed store gave me the generic Endo-mectin to treat for worms as my flock has never been treated. I don't not want to kill my roo, but is Wazine a necessity prior to the ivermectin as an inital wormer?

Thanks!
    Jackie

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    This is what I have read. I treated my chickens for mites/lice this summer with pour on ivomec without using wazine first as I had not read that yet. They were okay but I don't think they had worms. I have since bought wazine so I will have it on hand. I don't have an answer for you but can bump you back up.
    sharon

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:It's safer. I used Eprinex without using wazine first, some were well over a year old, and I was also lucky. I have no idea what the chances are you would harm your roo. I've never read on here of anyone killing their chicken with ivermectin but it must happen at least occasionally or we wouldn't be warned to use wazine first. No one can tell you what to do. Up to you, and good luck.

4. Jackie B.

May 13, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    Thanks read the entire sticky on worming last night so it's back to the feed store I go. Shannon the roo is still alive this morning. Dribbled H2O on his beak to at least make him drink but he's not eating. We have 2 roos and I loathe the other one so much he's scheduled for soup next Saturday but I would hate to lose 2 roos in the same week. Scarmable eggs and oatmeal are not even appealing to him so something is def. wrong. He just sits there. His poos are milky and watery. I checked him and he does have mites, so he along with the entire flock got dusted this am as well as the coop and bedding. Could mites alone make him this bad off? I didn't know you could get mites in the winter! And snow along with that!

Any other suggestions?![​IMG]

Thanks y'all!
    Jackie

5. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    Quote:It's safer. I used Eprinex without using wazine first, some were well over a year old, and I was also lucky. I have no idea what the chances are you would harm your roo. I've never read on here of anyone killing their chicken with ivermectin but it must happen at least occasionally or we wouldn't be warned to use wazine first. No one can tell you what to do. Up to you, and good luck.

Don't know about killing a wormy chicken by using Ivermectin first but you can sure kill a wormy horse doing this. With an animal that has never been wormed or an unknown wormy history, it's always better to first give a very safe wormer to knock down part of the worms and then follow up a couple of weeks later with the stronger wormer. A heavy load of dead parasites can be more than an animal can handle.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Yes, lice and mites can bring a chicken down quickly. If they arnt treated promptly they become anemic and die. I suspect he's anemic and am glad you dusted Shannon and all your chickens. You'll need to dust their house, roosts and nests as well and repeat dusting everything including your chickens in 10 days to kill mites that have hatched since the first dusting.
    As far as Shannon is concerned, I recommend you purchase poultry nutri drench at your feed store. It's loaded with vitamins and minerals and this is what he needs most right now. Give him a couple of drops directly into his mouth twice a day and continue for 3 days in a row. Dont give him anymore nutri drench after the third day, it can cause diarhhea. Additionally mix plain yogurt with scrambled egg into a mush and force feed him if you have to. Hopefully he'll perk up after this treatment then you can worm him first with wazine, then a more broad spectrum wormer 10 days later. I dont recommend worming until after the mites are gone and Shannon has regained his strength, it could be too stressful for him. Good luck.

7. Jackie B.

May 13, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    Thanks Dawg53 for the advice. Forcefeeding it is. PS- I'm a Georgia Grad '06, swam there. Go dawgs!

8. Jackie B.

May 13, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    Wow he's worse. He's got blood in his poo, it's not bright, it's dull. Won't even stand up. Do I just need to end it? He won't eat. His head just tilts back when I try to syringe feed him.

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Blood in the poop usually means 2 things; He has shed some intestinal lining which is normal or he has coccidia. Here is the poop chart to help you determine if it's intestinal lining or coccidia.
    http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0
    Given his issue with mites, possible worms, now possible coccidia and not eating...you've tried feeding him...IMO it might be prudent to cull him. It's your decision. I wish you the best.

10. Jackie B.

May 13, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    Ok it's really dull reddish/brown so I think it's lining. Went back down stairs to do the deed and he's up standing looking at me. Stupid bird. He gets one mroe night becasue we're going out of town tomorrow and I don't want the chicken sitter having to deal with this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by