Wazine - Controlling worms in the barn ecosystem

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ladyrsanti, Jan 18, 2013.

1. ladyrsanti

ladyrsanti Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Michigan
    Hey, I'm getting ready to de-worm my chickens for the first time, starting with some wazine 17. I've done a fair bit of reading on here about it but I was wondering if anyone had any information or advice about keeping the entire farm worm free. I have a dozen chickens, three sheep and nine barn cats (that came with the property). They all mingle. If the cats have worms, and I assume they do, then is it true that everyone has the same? I'm guessing some parasites are universal and others species-specific. The cats were de-wormed at the TNR center this spring, the sheep were treated about the same time. The chickens have never been treated and are going on a year old so it's time for them. Can you give cats wazine? It says it's not labeled for such but it doesn't say that you can't. But they poop everywhere in the barn, especially with all the hay laying around and the chickens routinely scratch in the hay for oats and seeds. Then the chickens poop there too and of course the sheep.

Does anyone have a set schedule and tested method for treating the whole farm? Are there special concerns in regards to parasites that I should know about when having animals mingle like they do?

2. leonphelps

leonphelps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Bucks County PA
    why not just put diatamaceous earth in all the foods? will do the same thing chemical free.

3. ladyrsanti

Apr 19, 2012
    Michigan
    Because I've heard it does nothing. Of course, I've heard that wazine is pretty much ineffective too. Some people say DE is the only way. Some people say Wazine is the only way. Others swear by Copper Sulfate (though I would NEVER use it because of the sheep). Some swear by garlic. I've gotten so confused, I honestly don't know what to do anymore.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Here's what we do. We keep our barn and pens clean and we keep all the critters on a regular deworming schedule with products that are appropriate for each species. Most of my animals get dewormed twice a year, including my chickens. How often you deworm will depend on your climate. I use different dewormers on a rotating basis and I always do a 10 retreat to get whatever hatched out in the meantime. If you keep parasite loads in your animals under control you will have less parasites in your environment.

Wazine will only treat roundworms in chickens. I use Valbazen and Safeguard liquid goat dewormer which takes care of my goats deworming needs as well.

I personally have not found DE to be reliable enough to suit me.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    x2
    DE will not prevent nor treat worms. Valbazen and Safeguard are the way to go.

6. Sandyd

Sandyd Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    I use Safeguard 2 times a year also.

7. ladyrsanti

Apr 19, 2012
    Michigan
    Thanks guys. I went ahead and treated with the wazine and I think I will buy some ivermectin to follow up. I got the barn cats some worming meds. too. I have to prepare myself for dosing because with 9 ferals, I have to make sure no one gets a double dose. I think I'm going to stand out there with a long pole or maybe a powerful squirt bottle (if I can find one). Perhaps DE would be good for spreading around areas that the cats use as a litter box? Luckily most of their waste is on the other side of the barn from where the sheep and chickens live but my chickens will occasionally wander over there. We shovel the cat poo out when we clean but they also use strawed areas sometimes and that's harder to catch. Especially with sheep, because you don't clean the barn like you do with horses and cows. I was once told not to clean it until the sheep touch the ceiling, lol. I'm not that lax about it but once or twice a year.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  8. Maah

Maah Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2012
    W.Michigan
    Ok, for all you that use Safeguard goat dewormer for the chickens... that would be great for me since I already use Safeguard for our goats.

What would the dosage be for chickens?

When would you do a follow up treatment, and can Safeguard be used for the followup as well?

How long do you toss the eggs for? I've heard anywhere from 2 weeks to a month when worming chickens... so not sure which is correct.

Thanks!

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Dosage for the safeguard liquid goat wormer is orally undiluted; 1cc for giants, 3/4cc for large fowl, 1/2cc for standards, 1/4cc for smaller birds. Repeat dosing in 10 days. Dont give it to birds in molt. There's a 14 day withdrawal after the last dosing. Dont feed the eggs back to your chickens, give them to your dogs.

1 person likes this.
  10. Maah

Maah Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2012
    W.Michigan
    Exactly what I needed to know! Thank you! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by