1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wazine NOT for laying hens !?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by momof10, Nov 29, 2012.

1. momof10

momof10 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2011
    So...in an ongoing attempt to figure out to worm or not to worm my little flock of 8 hens...I went to a local feed store in search of Valbazen...They, of course, never heard of it. (I'm in Idaho).
    All they had was Wazine...which I have read (on BYC) that a lot of you use to worm your chickens. I heard (from BYC friends) that it's not effective. But, since I was there,at the feed store, I read the entire lable on the back of the container...at the VERY BOTTOM...in very small print. It states, "for use on meat birds only....NOT for use on laying hens.) What the heck????? Have any of you read this, and what do you think?
    Also, where do you get your Valbazen from? Thanks for your thoughts on this issue.
    I'm spending way too much time worrying about this :p

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    There's a 14 day slaughter withdrawal after using wazine. If the chicken is good to eat after 14 days, so are the eggs. Valbazen can be purchased from Jefferslivestock.com or call them. There's a14 day withdrawal period after last use of valbazen as well.

3. momof10

Dec 10, 2011
    Thanks for the information...I have to admit I've read a lot of your earlier posts on the "worming issue" and I've seen your amazing photos of worms in eggs....which is why I prefer to use the Valbazen you reccomend. I will order it from the website.
    Have you ever cooked the eggs layed during the withholding period and fed them back to your chickens? I hate to just thrown the eggs out, I'd rather feed them to the hens????

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    There will be wormer residue in the eggs. Feeding them back to the chickens can extend the withdrawal period. More importantly, the residue can help build worm resistance to the wormer the next time it's used. You can feed the eggs to your dog(s) if you have any.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  5. momof10

Dec 10, 2011
    Thanks again, and yes I do have dogs, and cats...you have the most common sense approach to chicken raising...I really appreciate your information and experience! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by