WAZINE........now what happens?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Suzi18, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Suzi18

Suzi18 Free Ranging

Apr 4, 2017
    Sandusky Ohio
    I'm fairly new to raising chickens and just had my first experience with worms. I just treated with Wazine yesterday after finding a pile of roundworms under the roost. I'm just curious....what happens now? Will I have the pleasure of cleaning up more worm piles? How will the chickens react to the worming....does it have any negative effects that I should watch for? How long til the Wazine kills the little disgusting creatures? :sick

2. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    Beckaberry likes this.
  3. DakotaDreamer

DakotaDreamer Chirping

May 1, 2017
    I have never had any problems with my hens after treating with wazine. You will most likely get a few more wormy piles but mostly it is killing the worm eggs and you won't see that in the poop. It seems to work fairly quick but there is an egg withdrawal period so be sure to toss those eggs for the next few weeks. I believe it is 3 week withdrawal but I would double check that. Good luck with the worming.

4. Suzi18

Suzi18 Free Ranging

Apr 4, 2017
    Sandusky Ohio
    thank you both! Just wanted to mentally prepare myself if I was going to face more piles of worms. Ick

5. Beckaberry

Beckaberry Chirping 6 Years

Jun 12, 2012
    Glen Mills, PA
    I'm just about to step into the world of roundworm infestation for the first time today. I've dealt with all types of illnesses and injuries, but never worms. Just picked up my wazine yesterday at the Tractor Supply and am going to go dose the ladies.
    Question though, I free range them (with electric fence). How do I treat their area in case worms are lurking in the soil?
    Also, how much do I have to worry about my dog or goats contracting these worms on the old soil once I move the flock to new grazing ground? I was thinking a blanket treatment with DE, but don't want to indiscriminately kill all the bugs around.
    Any thoughts?

6. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    Most worms are species specific, so what infects one species will not necessarily infect another. It's nearly impossible to eradicate the worm eggs in the environment, and roundworms tend to be the most easily picked up by animals that eat off the ground. DE isn't going to kill the eggs in the environment. The best way to control them is by regular fecal testing to check for infection and then treating as necessary. If you find that your animals are regularly picking them up, then a regular worming schedule will help get them under control. Every environment is different, and how often worming is necessary will be determined by your specific needs.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member 9 Years

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Wormers cant kill eggs. This is why you reworm your birds in order to kill worms hatched from eggs. It's an ongoing process to end the worms lifecycle infecting your birds. The soil is contaminated with worm eggs and will require monthly worming. Keeping grass cut short so that sunlight can hit it is best for deterring worm eggs as well as rotating areas where birds forage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: