1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wazine questions....?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by blueberrychickens, Aug 3, 2011.

1. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    So I figure I should probably de-worm my flock of 8 hens, they are just over 1 yr in age. They have never been de-wormed before & they have never shown signs of having worms either, but this is more as a preventative move than a necessary move as I want to keep them healthy. Anyways, I went to the grain store today to get some Wazine & pour on Ivermectin as I have seen that this is what has been reccomended by others on BYC. They didn't have the Ivermectin pour on but they did have Ivermectin paste(which I didn't buy) but I did buy the Wazine. The guy who works @ the store told me I can never use the eggs again if I use the Wazine!!! Well that just doesn't make sense! So I bought it anyways & now I need to know the dose to give them.....I'm figuring 1oz/gallon of water. Do I just give it for 1 day or till they drink the whole gallon??? Then I repeat it again in 10 days, right??? Should I try the Ivermectin paste instead of the pour on?? & toss the eggs after giving the Wazine, for 2 weeks after? So confusing!! [​IMG]

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:You are correct on all accounts. Wazine dosage is 1 ounce per 1 gallon of water. Before you let your chickens out the next morning, ensure that the wazine water is their sole source of water to drink and put it out fresh first thing for them to drink. Once you let them out, they will be thirsty and will drink the treated water. Leave it out for 24 hours straight, then discard the following morning. There is a 14 day withdrawal for slaughter. Toss the eggs for 14 days or feed them to your dog(s.) If the chickens are good to eat after the 14th day, so are the eggs. I'm still here typing. ETA: Instead of using ivermectin paste for the second worming, use safeguard equine paste (fenbendazole.) Dosage is a "pea" sized amount for each chicken. Put it on a small piece of bread and give it individually to each chicken. There's a 14 day withdrawal period.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  3. blueberrychickens

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    But do I repeat in 10 days or not???

4. blueberrychickens

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    Thank you Dawg53....now just how do I manage to give each chicken their own piece of bread, they usually scarf down anything I give them, but how to give it to them individually? & the dominant ones would look for 2nds before the lower ranking ones would have gotten any at all....

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    You won't be able to just hold your hand out with the pieces of bread. So what you can do is stand over each one of them and as soon as one gets a piece, make it a big piece so they will run off with it, and then get the next chicken. Be quick so that everybody gets their share before anyone else steals the bread. Or....you could always round them all up in the coop. Take each one out individually so you can make sure they each get a tiny piece of the bread. [​IMG]

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Same here. For me, there is no way to give 100+ chickens a piece of bread. I have to use the pour on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by