1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wazine Treatment

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MelissaBA, Aug 9, 2014.

1. MelissaBA

MelissaBA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2014
    I am going to treat my chickens for worms with Wazine. My question is it says on the bottle that the medicated water should be consumed in a day or less. How do I know each chicken has received enough water to treat the worms? And also it doesn't say to repeat this, so do they only need this for one day?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Wazine will only treat roundworms, but not any other chicken worms. Dawg53 is an expert on worms, and any of his posts from the last year or two would be good to read. SafeGuard Goat Wormer or Horse Paste, or Valbazen are some of the better wormers for chickns, and each chicken can be dosed 1/2 ml and repeat in 10 days. Egg withdrawal is toal of 24 days. Here are some discussions about wazine:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/732910/deworming-experience-from-start-to-finish
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/839418/dosage-for-wazine-17

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    To answer your question, the Wazine should be used for 24 hours. If the chicken is drinking normally, they should take enough of the medicine if that is the only supply of water.

4. MelissaBA

MelissaBA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2014
    Thanks! I have not been able to see any worms visibly, but my chickens have totally quit laying and are doing the sneezing/coughing thing, so I have been treating for respiratory disease and now think I should be worming because it could be either/or.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by