Wazine? Why?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by rancher hicks, Feb 1, 2012.

1. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    (here we go again, I wish they'd fix this darn thing so when you hit the wrong key you don't lose everything!!!!)

Now, I was in Tractor Supply today and in the poultry section they have a small bottle of Wazine. In reading the label it clearly states...NOT TO BE USED ON POULTRY USED FOR EGGS FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION.

1. Why would you use this if it is not safe?

2. There is nothing on the label that says anything about "tossing" eggs for 14 days. Where did this notion come from?

3. Most of us here keep chickens for the eggs and some of us sell those eggs. Aren't folks who use this and sell the eggs for people to eat, taking a risk of liability?

4. I don't claim to be and expert and I'm not, but what do the folks who tout the use of this product know that the manufacturers don't know?

Please enlighten me.

Rancher

2. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I've not heard of anyone that has use Wazine not continue to use the eggs. I know I didn't stop.

3. ChickenJerk

ChickenJerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    Wazine (piperazine) has never been put through the testing procedure required before approval as a medication for food producing animals in the US. That is why it is labeled so
    The ingredients that make up this wormer can be bought by the ton on the open market and virtually anyone can make the finished product. There is no financial reward to be gained from such an expenditure.

Further the vast majority of hens that produce eggs for human cunsumption are never challenged by ascarids. They never come in contact with any of the agents that cause them to become infested with teaming numbers of parasites that backyard chickens are often contaminated with.

FYI - piperazine is used to deworm humans of roundworms. Draw from that what you will.

It would never bother me to eat eggs from a hen that had been administered piperazine. And piperazine is approved for use in bot chickens and turkeys used for meat.

Draw from that what you will.

4. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY

Can you tell me where I can find the information your giving us?

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
  6. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    - piperazine is used to deworm humans of roundworms. Draw from that what you will.

Other Medical Problems

The presence of other medical problems may affect the use of piperazine. Make sure you tell your doctor if you have any other medical problems, especially:
    • Kidney disease or
    • Liver disease—Patients with kidney or liver disease may have an increased chance of side effects
    • Seizure disorder, especially a history of epilepsy—Piperazine may make the condition worse

What you state is true in it's treatment of worms in humans. However it is a "prescription drug". It carries side effects and I doubt meant for long term use.

It can also react with other medications. This information came from Drugs.com.

My comment on egg tossing has been discussed here and the label states that withdraw should be done 14 days prior to processing pigs. It says nothing of meat chickens, though it does state for use in chickens.

Mind you I'm not saying it isn't safe to use, but I would prefer that it be able to state it is safe.

7. ChickenJerk

ChickenJerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    College text books, pharmaceutical manufacturers data sheets and instructions for use, FDA regulations like http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/animaldrugsatfda/details.cfm?dn=010-005, notes from when people get a degree in poultry science like I did, USDA food testing requirements. When you get through verifying through stuff like that get back to me - there are more.

8. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CHICKENS (Chicken, not laying eggs for human consumption)

This came from the site you recommended. Why does it state this, if the eggs are ok to eat? Please understand that we have no way of knowing the education of the person on the other end of these posts.

So far we've got the label from the manufacturer stating "not for use in chickens for eggs and now the FDA. I still don't see why this stuff is still safe to use in chickens laying eggs for my family.

9. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Here we go.

10. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Then you may choose not to use it.
    There are very few medications that are actually approved for use in poultry because it is not financially feasible for companies to pay to have it tested and labeled for poultry use.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by