We added a gutter and rain barrel to the coop and it is magic!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chicks4MyFamily, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Chicks4MyFamily

Chicks4MyFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Valley City, OH
    We bought a rain barrel off craigslist and put a gutter on the slanted coop roof and after only a few minutes of rain we had 1/3 of a barrel. It has a spout on the bottom and I just put the watering can underneath and water my garden. It is SO convenient I am in LOVE with it!

[​IMG]

2. ajay

ajay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Very cool! We need to do that too. Such a good idea. [​IMG]

3. Sinfonian

Sinfonian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Seattle area
    Wow! That's one big coop to fill 1/3 a rain barrel in one rain. My coop roof is only 48 SF. I thought about that idea and decided against it. I've got 2 barrels for 1,200 SF of roof on my house which does a better job for us.

Well done. Very well done! Congrats.

4. Chicks4MyFamily

Chicks4MyFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Valley City, OH
    originally I was only going to install the gutter to protect my small "chicken" garden behind the coop (my parents have farm and provide us with veggies just planted cabbage etc for chickents). After putting the coop so close to the beds and all the rain we had in the early spring the water had completely tore up my beds. Gutter fixed the problem and I thought why not put a rain barrel there as it is hidden by nesting boxes from my kitchen window view -works great!

5. jbethmann

jbethmann Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2010
    I've been wanting to set up a rain barrel for the chickens water.... your set up Looks great!

6. Causin Chaos

Causin Chaos Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2009
    cute

7. Horizon Structures

Horizon Structures Official BYC Sponsor

Jul 1, 2009
    Atglen, PA
    I LOVE your coop set up! [​IMG] And the rain barrel is a great idea. Adding gutters to the coop will extend its life in general, as well.

8. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    You coop is sooo cute! Great idea adding a rain barrel- maybe I'll try that in the winter (not too much rain here in San Diego!)

9. sammyh312

sammyh312 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    great idea! GONNA TRY THAT MYSELF.

10. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

Please post a photo of the rain barrel set-up? -subscribes-

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by