We added lights.... eggs soon?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jenny1, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Jenny1

Jenny1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    When we bought our "hens" the guy said they were five months old. That was on Labor day. One is laying (the leghorn) two are not laying (easter egger and barred rock) So, at 24 weeks old, shouldnt they be starting to lay? I added 3 led lights to the coop (it is a tiny coop, and honestly, dark, but they can go outside to the run whenever they want) yesterday. Will that help them start to lay? We are in Phoenix so I figure they can lay through the winter and not worry about them being too cold. Any other tricks to get them to lay?

2. leirob007

leirob007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2012
    Upstate South Carolina
    protein
    might want to try a handful of dry catfood once. and see if the protein boost gets them started.
    that is not everyday feed.

3. leirob007

leirob007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2012
    Upstate South Carolina
    and you might want to try turning off those lights so they rest more peacefully unless they are on a timer so they are on in teh daylight and off when it's dark.

4. DianaMallory

DianaMallory Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    Are you feeding them layer feed? lights need to come on in the morning and go off when it is daylight!

5. Jenny1

Sep 22, 2008
    Just installed the lights yesterday. Rest obviously WASNT working....+

6. Jenny1

Sep 22, 2008
    Yeah, we are feeding layer feed. The lights arent very bright and fade off, they are solar powered leds- and only 3 leds.So, its not like a spolight in there.

7. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    They are young and have just moved. Not laying at 24 weeks isn't unheard of. Give them time. Lighting the coop so they can see in there in there is good. If you are doing it for egg production it doesn't have to be a spot light. The standard of if you can read in there, is what you aim for.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by