We added some height to the fence around the yard.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by iheartnh, Aug 13, 2013.

1. iheartnh

iheartnh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2013
    Derry, NH
    To keep the jail-breakers in. We originally did just a 5" fence around the run area, more to define the space as 'poop central' and keep the dog out. Of course, the birds eventually starting roosting on top of the fence. Then they just said 'what the heck...let's take a trip' - which would be fine with me, but my neighbors all have dogs (so do I), we don't have roo for protection, and blah blah blah they need to stay in their yard.

So, this past weekend we added 3 feet of chicken wire to the top of the fence...so now it's like Alcatraz. Works great, but the ladies are NOT HAPPY WITH ME. They charge the door to the yard when I open it. They're hostile. They stare. With judgement in their eyes.

I fear they are plotting some sort of coup.

2. A Chicken Coup!

3. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    WOW 8 feet of height!!! Youll need to post a picture of that. I guess Im lucky I have a 4 ft fence to boarder my chicken yard and the chickens stay put.

4. chicken pickin

Mar 3, 2012
    Oh I see your in Derry, so am I. What do you raise?

5. iheartnh

Apr 11, 2013
    Derry, NH
    We have 5 Buff Orpington and 2 EE hens. We're new to keeping chickens, so wanted to start with 'nice' birds. The EEs are snotty little twits, though.

The chicken yard isn't anything to look at - the original 5 feet are just 2x4, and the extra 3 won't show up in pictures - my coop is sort of tucked into the woods (our coop is a converted playhouse that sat right outside the treeline) - we just used metal posts attached the original fence and ran the chicken wire along that - it's practically invisible in the trees. Took the poor birds all afternoon to figure out that even though the can't see it, there's a wall. [​IMG] They get it now, though. Hence the judgement and disdain.

Where in Derry are you? We are on the Derry/Auburn/Londonderry line - about a mile from Pinkerton.

6. chicken pickin

Mar 3, 2012
    We are in East Derry just little ways past the East Derry General store.

7. iheartnh

Apr 11, 2013
    Derry, NH
    Taylor Library area, right? We looked at a house on Warner Hill Rd when we were house shopping.

8. chicken pickin

Mar 3, 2012
    yes up past taylor library. I also looked at a house on warner when we were house shopping we ended up buying one right off that rd in the same area. Its a really nice area over here. A little farmy so I don't feel so out of place with all of my animals.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by