We adopted some chickens but I don't know their breeds!

peacefulpuls8

In the Brooder
Feb 9, 2016
Hey everyone! I am sure you get this question daily, but I'm fairly new to chicken breeds (we've only had Ameraucanas, red sex links, white leghorns, buff Orpingtons, Delawares, and welsummers) and would love your expertise on determining which breed these new chickens are that we got. We adopted them from a sanctuary in Utah and most of them are still laying. I've attached some pictures and appreciate your help figuring these breeds out!

Last edited:
My guess would be that the second picture is a golden laced Wyandotte, seventh a silver laced Wyandotte, fourth and last look like easter eggers. And the sixth picture with the red hen with a black tail is probably a Rhode Island red. Hard to guess what the others might be.

Last edited:
My guess would be that the second picture is a golden laced Wyandotte, seventh a silver laced Wyandotte, fourth and last look like easter eggers. And the sixth picture with the red hen with a black tail is probably a Rhode Island red. Hard to guess what the others might be.

I would agree with this. In the first picture, I'm not quite sure, but it looks like maybe a Cornish. And in the 6 picture the one with the white head looks like a Cornish mix. The third pic looks like a Black Australorps. Hope this helps!

Dark Cornish Mix? I woudn't call her a pure Cornish because of her comb.
Golden Laced Wyandotte
Black Australorp maybe? Her leg and feet color would be helpful to clearly identify her.
Easter Egger
Better pic from the side with better lighting would help. Right now I'm thinking some kind of red sex-link?
On the left: Red laced White Cornish. Right: Production Red (Production Rhode Island Reds). She's not dark enough to be a Heritage RIR.
Silver Laced Wyandotte.
Easter Egger

Last edited:
Thank you everyone!! @chickluvinfreak @henny1129 @chickencraz @donrae Here are some better shots of the few some of you said you weren't sure on.
This first picture is the same chicken as the first picture I posted that you guessed was the Cornish mix. Maybe seeing in focus helps?
This one is the one you guessed was a black austrolarp with a shot of her legs and feet.
I'm also including her BFF who was behind her in the original picture to get your feedback on her too. They were apparently attacked by a rooster in their previous home so that's why they're bald on their backs. What would you guess she is?

I still think the first one is a Cornish Mix just because of her comb (I'm not calling her a Cornish cross, because too many people confuse them with Cornish rock broilers).

The second is a Black Australorp.

The third is a production red.

I don't think they were attacked by the rooster. He probably was just breeding with them a lot. I have a couple that look that, even though the roo had 20 hens.

I still think the first one is a Cornish Mix just because of her comb (I'm not calling her a Cornish cross, because too many people confuse them with Cornish rock broilers).

The second is a Black Australorp.

The third is a production red.

I don't think they were attacked by the rooster. He probably was just breeding with them a lot. I have a couple that look that, even though the roo had 20 hens.  

THANK YOU so much!!! It's important to know my hens and this is incredibly helpful. :)

The two with the bare back rooster damage, really could use Neosporin (NO caine) on them and chicken aprons to help protect and allow feathers to grow back. It hurts just to see them like that. Darn roosters

Back
Top Bottom