We adopted some chickens but I don't know their breeds!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by peacefulpuls8, Sep 11, 2016.

1. peacefulpuls8

peacefulpuls8 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2016
    Hey everyone! I am sure you get this question daily, but I'm fairly new to chicken breeds (we've only had Ameraucanas, red sex links, white leghorns, buff Orpingtons, Delawares, and welsummers) and would love your expertise on determining which breed these new chickens are that we got. We adopted them from a sanctuary in Utah and most of them are still laying. I've attached some pictures and appreciate your help figuring these breeds out!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  2. chickluvinfreak

chickluvinfreak Chillin' With My Peeps

My guess would be that the second picture is a golden laced Wyandotte, seventh a silver laced Wyandotte, fourth and last look like easter eggers. And the sixth picture with the red hen with a black tail is probably a Rhode Island red. Hard to guess what the others might be.

3. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

I would agree with this. In the first picture, I'm not quite sure, but it looks like maybe a Cornish. And in the 6 picture the one with the white head looks like a Cornish mix. The third pic looks like a Black Australorps. Hope this helps!

4. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

Pretty girls by the way!

5. chickencraz

chickencraz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Washington State

1 person likes this.
  6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Agree with chickencraz

7. peacefulpuls8

Feb 9, 2016
    Thank you everyone!! @chickluvinfreak @henny1129 @chickencraz @donrae Here are some better shots of the few some of you said you weren't sure on.
    [​IMG] This first picture is the same chicken as the first picture I posted that you guessed was the Cornish mix. Maybe seeing in focus helps?
    [​IMG] This one is the one you guessed was a black austrolarp with a shot of her legs and feet.
    [​IMG] I'm also including her BFF who was behind her in the original picture to get your feedback on her too. They were apparently attacked by a rooster in their previous home so that's why they're bald on their backs. What would you guess she is?

8. chickencraz

chickencraz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Washington State
    I still think the first one is a Cornish Mix just because of her comb (I'm not calling her a Cornish cross, because too many people confuse them with Cornish rock broilers).

The second is a Black Australorp.

The third is a production red.

I don't think they were attacked by the rooster. He probably was just breeding with them a lot. I have a couple that look that, even though the roo had 20 hens.

9. peacefulpuls8

Feb 9, 2016

THANK YOU so much!!! It's important to know my hens and this is incredibly helpful. :)

1 person likes this.
  10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    The two with the bare back rooster damage, really could use Neosporin (NO caine) on them and chicken aprons to help protect and allow feathers to grow back. It hurts just to see them like that. Darn roosters

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by