We all overpayed for our birds

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mpgo4th, May 4, 2013.

1. mpgo4th

mpgo4th Songster

Apr 8, 2013
    I found this out of a wards Christmas catalog from 1936.
    [​IMG]

2. keirys

keirys Songster

Mar 27, 2013
    Mid Michigan
    WOW!!!! that is cheap look at the prices on that

3. Okie Girl

Okie Girl In the Brooder

Mar 14, 2013
    If we could buy them at that price now, that would be GREAT !

4. kannna

kannna Songster

Jul 2, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard
    So I looked it up. According to the inflation calculator 1.90 in 1936 would equal $31.82 today or $1.27 each.

5. keirys

keirys Songster

Mar 27, 2013
    Mid Michigan
    For 25 for $1.90 I would have so many chickens my chicken math would not be able to keep up [​IMG].

6. Warning: Frontal Nudity [​IMG]

In 1936 chicken sold at a considerable premium in the United States. Only about 10 years previously a successful campaign for President was waged on the slogan, “A car in every garage and a chicken in every pot!” BTW, a car in every garage proved a lot easier to achieve than a chicken in every pot.

Chicken was a luxury for middle class Americans, only the rich could afford to buy chicken and the rural poor ate chicken because it was the only meat they had. If they had any other meat they ate it and sold their chickens at the produce house for cash. The going price was about a dollar per bird. Quite a lot when you consider that many jobs didn’t pay a grown man more than that per day.

These natural, organic, free range, birds were killed, picked and then sold in the butcher shops as “New York Dressed” chickens. This term means that they still retained their heads, feet, and all of their internal organs. All of this offal was part and parcel of the price of a chicken. The only thing missing was most of the blood and feathers. A 1938 New York Dressed chicken could run over 2 dollars at retail. This price was about twice what many laborers earned a day.

So those of you who still yearn for 8¢ baby chicks, come with Mr. Peabody, Sherman and me while we all take a ride on the Way Back Machine to the year 1936. [​IMG]
    http://www.census.gov/1940census/then_and_now/

OK, I promised you frontal nudity and here it is, these are New York dressed or maybe the correct term is New York Un-Dressed chickens.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. TheReadyBoys

TheReadyBoys Chirping

Jul 2, 2012
    P.E.I, Canada
    I sure wish that those prices were still here today!

8. BrittBergh

BrittBergh Chirping

Mar 16, 2013
    Harvest, Al
    I wish we had those prices for chickens and on all things back then still today...

9. milola

milola Chirping

Mar 7, 2013
    So according to Kannnas calculation I got a steal when I paid a dollar a piece for my comets cause TSC didn't want to come in on Easter Sunday so they marked them down.

10. kannna

kannna Songster

Jul 2, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard
    Now YOU got a bargain!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: