1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

We Are At War!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by centrarchid, Sep 14, 2010.

1. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Until 30 minutes ago (~ 5:45 PM CST) I had 13 female and 3 male 3-week old dominique chicks from Cackle hatchery. A Coopers Hawk-male-adult, took one of the male chicks from front yard, and flew downhill into woods of backyard with his squalling catch. I could hear nuthatches mobbing something in woods which I assume to be the hawk dismembering and consuming MY bitty! I hope the hawk chokes on a tibia! Chicks at risk have access to a 2" x 4" wire-mesh cage but failed to use it when counted. I am standing guard until dark to prevent hawk from taking seconds, then I confine chicks to hawk proof pen. Hatches will be battened down on larger flocks because I think the hawk will attempt larger size birds next. Darn chicks forgot about hawks intrusion after just 5 minutes. I wish my game flock would mingle more with extremely vulnerable chicks. I would at least give hawk pause. Next year I am going to try and make a rooster or two broody to see if he can make hawk think twice.

2. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    A roo may give a Cooper's hawk pause in an attack but if you have Red Tails, they had just as soon eat him as one of the girls. A big roo is more bang for his buck and no problem at all for him to take out.

Sorry for your loss. I hope that is the last of your problems with that stinkin hawk.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  3. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    For some reason red-tails never attacked our games chickens in a free range setting if there was more than half a dozen adult birds. I think they may have presented a red-tail with health risk if it stayed on ground too long with struggling prey. I have seen games flog a grounded red-tailed and the hawk did not fair well. When the same kind of hawk is in tree they are scared of it.

It would be interesting to make some life-like red-tail dummiy to see how reliably the roosters might flog it. Conditioning might make for a group of roosters that might successfully give the hawk some lip if it presses issue.

4. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Coopers hawk came through again today about same time as yesterday. More vulnerable chicks were cooped up so he harassed the 14-week old flock of 20 dominiques. About 1/3 of those dove into 2 foot tall fescue and tucked their heads and rest went under coop. Hawk left without a catch this time. The bigger birds about half again as heavy as the hawk so if he did catch one, flying off with it would not be possible.

5. beachchickie

beachchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    It won't stop him. Especially a young male. He will keep trying.

6. Barred Rocks forever

Barred Rocks forever Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    maryland
    if your looking for a bird to be able to stop them i hear geese work well agenst them

7. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:It is an adult resident male with experience based on neighbor's word. Seems partial to smaller chickens it catches alone or my bitties.

8. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:Closest neighbor does have geese and he claims same. Geese for me not option since they will interfere with my desired pond operation. They muck it up. This year I will take losses. Nest year a livestock guarding dog and more adult roosters will be in place as well as adequate pens.

9. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    in one week the hawk got 35 of my neighbors barred rock chicks. [​IMG] at home depot they have bird netting a 14'x45' roll is 19.00. I have bits of shinny stuff dangleing from the net to discourage the bird from crashing in to it.

10. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:Muddyhorse,

I might give the bird netting shot. It would enable chicks to roam a bit so as to stay in good feather. Netting I know works at keeping herons out of my ponds. Just a pain in butt to setup.

Muddyhorse, where in Missouri are you?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by