1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

We are back from Cali with birds and the old mare

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by L&Schickens, Aug 12, 2008.

1. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    We got back last night, the 11th and it was a very hard trip, but fun too. We came back will a few more birds then I thought we would. My hubby is a little upset about that, because now he needs to build some cages. Also, 4 of the bantam Phoenix chicks (4 weeks old) escaped the cage and were eaten by something already. Now I have 2 left. MAJOR BUMMER!! They are show birds and very expensive, so I don’t quite know how to tell my MIL that nearly all of them were eaten the day after we got them.
    We also got 1 Ameracana X Delaware cross pullet, a trio of Welsummers, (I had 3 pullets already of the same age) 1 buff bantam Cochin rooster, one Millie Flur (sp) rooster (Both from my old horse vet's wife) 5 Burmese Roller pigeons, 4 Helmet pigeons, and 5 doves, one of witch is a baby of the doves I gave her 8 years ago! Looks just like it’s parents and grand parents too. It is brown and white.
    So, Bein is beside herself as our 2 y/o filly is the boss over her! I don’t expect that to last long. CJ was very happy to see her. He has known her all his life. Bein is boss over him.
    Cloud, the Arabian gelding I almost took, was so beautiful and acted like the stereo typical desert Arabian stallion. He was very friendly, but showed off like crazy and was unbelievably beautiful. He galloped up to me every time I went into the pasture. I love that horse. But, it is better we didn’t take him. He is spooky when ridden and with his blind eye I am sure he could get real spooky.
    Anyway, that is some of the story. I will tell more of it if I don’t pass out from exhaustion later.
    I almost forgot, Goldie hatched out 7 babies today. She is our 6 year old Serama hen and has never sat on eggs before. We are sooo happy!!!
    Here are the pictures!!

Millie Flure roo (Needs new home)
    [​IMG]

Snuffy the bantam Cochin roo
    [​IMG]

Welsummer roo we named Welington
    [​IMG]

Welington with some of his hens
    [​IMG]

Loren with the 2 phoenix we have left (Golden roo and silver hen)
    [​IMG]

Loren with Snuffy
    [​IMG]

This is the only bantam Cochin I have and she happens to be a hen! Snuffy's future wife, Fluffy
    [​IMG]

Goldie the proud mamma serama
    [​IMG]

all 7 chicks
    [​IMG]

Bein in CA (She is the chestnut one and Cloud is the gray)
    [​IMG]

Bein at home (Chestnut again. CJ is the black and Catalina is the palomino looking haflinger)
    [​IMG]

Some of the pigeons
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doves
    [​IMG]

I will post pictures of soem of my MIL's other chickens next post.

2. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    These are some of my MIL’s other chickens and the parents to the Phoenix chicks.
    She has mostly Orientals, but some Cuban/Spanish game birds also. She is a poultry judge and really has some good birds.

Pheonix parents
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Welsummer's parents
    [​IMG]

Not sure of the breed of some of these, but I think this is an Asiel?
    [​IMG]

Shamo's?
    [​IMG]

Cuban game (I wish I had a better picture. He has a real cool looking head.)
    [​IMG]

Paintings she won of the birds she raises.
    [​IMG]

3. Aneesa's Muse

Aneesa's Muse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Beautiful pics ...and I just love the Phoenix!! [​IMG]

4. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

all i can say is woooooooooooooow

5. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Beautiful pets... I have always wanted a horse...Oh yeah, you have a Millie roo who needs a home and I have two Millie pullets who need a man, too bad you are all the way across country.

6. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I can ship him. Or I can give him directions to your house and turn him loose!![​IMG]

7. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    My MIL was going to give me some Chantaclears (sp) but she had just gotten her first batch of 24 and they were only 4 weeks old. She said she wants to "Improve" them before giving me any. Such a poultry judge thing to say. [​IMG]

8. cthrash1

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    L&Schickens :

I can ship him. Or I can give him directions to your house and turn him loose!![​IMG]

LOL...Think he can get here from there? Just don't give him directions from Yahoo Maps, he'll never make it. [​IMG]

9. cthrash1

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Now in all seriousness(is that a word?), is it safe to ship a bird across country?

10. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:People do it all the time. I shipped my chickens from NH to WA before we moved out. My aunt took care of them for me.
    My frined in Simi Valley CA shipped her 4 chickens to me here in WA a few months ago.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by