We are building coop out of construction grade pine, do I need to treat interior for UV or anything

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by wahmommy, Jan 8, 2013.

1. wahmommy

wahmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2010
    The exterior will be painted, and originally we were going to paint the inside too, but then it looked nice with just the plain pine boards, so we decided not to paint it (for now, figuring we can always change our minds later). Please note that we live in a hot climate (Southern California) and its a combined coop and run so its really open the first 3 feet (just hardware cloth and framing), then the last five feet are pine boards where the roost is. Its facing South East, and the back of the coop where the unpainted boards are will get some serious sun exposure in both the morning, then again in the afternoon, especially in the summer. I'm thinking I will probably have to paint it, but wanted to know what you thought.

2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

I think leaving the boards unpainted will be fine. Will your birds have a nice shady spot all day in the summer? I would hate for them to get too hot.......

3. wahmommy

Aug 14, 2010
    The coop is actually under trees, but there should be spaces inside the coop (especially on the floor under the poop board) where its shady- its just the back walls where the roost is that is going to get a lot of sun and I don't think the chickens will spend a lot of time up there until its getting dark. I wanted to make sure they would have access to sunlight because I can tell the birds like to sun themselves and I feel bad if I'm not able to let them out to free range. Also if it looks like its going to be super hot (or raining like crazy), we have a tarp that we can use for rain/shade that will go across the front of the coop.

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    You could use an exterior stain. Clear coats wont last at all but a good stain with light tone would look nice, last a long time and clean off easy if you ever hose out your coop. Australian timber oil in a natural tone is a good product or just get pure linseed oil and put that on. Linseed has a yellow tone. You'd have to let it dry for few days before letting chickens in and only use one thin coat or it will take a week to dry.

Obviously that's only if your concerned about it aging visually. Water stains and the like will occur but if that doesn't bother than in reality you don't need to do anything.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  5. wahmommy

Aug 14, 2010
    as long as its just visual and doesn't affect the wood's durability, that's fine, I figure I can always paint later if it starts to look bad or if its too hard to clean.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by