We are doomed if educators can't write

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by hikerchick, Sep 14, 2009.

  1. hikerchick

    hikerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

    Apr 6, 2009
    Dover, PA
    A friend forwarded me a message written by her son's middle school principal. In the letter he makes reference to something that happens on "Friday's".

    Don't even educators know basic grammar rules anymore? Our language is doomed.
     
  2. Mahonri

    Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

    30,361
    153
    446
    May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    It's called the dumbing down of America.

    It's why things have deteriorated to the point that they have.

    No one understands The Constitution nor the need to defend it anymore.

    We are coming to the end of the pride cycle. Sad times ahead indeed!
     
  3. joebryant

    joebryant Overrun With Chickens

    Quote:I have to agree 100%. It's inexcusable for any communication from a school to have errors in it. I was appalled at an English teacher at the school where I taught; she was constantly using subject pronouns after prepositions; you'd've thought it was a crime to say "me" instead of "I"; she did not know WHY she was wrong. I also had a principal who could not write a sentence correctly, and I raised such a fuss and filed a complaint with the school board against her; from then on she sent nothing out without my proofreading it. I can understand a math or history teacher's messing up; all it show is that he/she found language classes boring and/or didn't care all that much for the finer points of English. We all knew 95% of English grammar when we entered first grade, and NONE of us learned or know ALL of the other 5%, but for school administrators and/or English teachers to not know a great amount of the remaining 5% should be cause for their being fired.
     
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  4. StupidBird

    StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

    2,066
    13
    191
    Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    Same thing with newspapers; our little town paper had so many grammar and spelling problems I wouldn't subscribe to it. I know I am horrid at proper grammar, but am quite proud of my spelling abilities. Oops, approaching rant speed.
     
  5. joebryant

    joebryant Overrun With Chickens

    Quote:Yep, newspapers should only hire people who are proficient in English grammar and composition. How on Earth does anyone get through journalism school without exceptional writing skills, let alone get a job working for a newspaper.

    Edit: Something else that drives me nuts is for stores or restaurants or any public business to have signs with poor grammar, e.g, I was in a store in Kentucky one time that had a checkout sign that read, "Twelve or less items," instead of "Twelve or fewer items." The manager heard from me. I never buy "cold slaw" from a restaurand that advertises their cole slaw before I tell them what they did.
     
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  6. Olive Hill

    Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

    4,203
    74
    253
    Apr 19, 2009
    I was just ranting about this the other day. The newsletter my daughter brings home from school every week is atrocious.
     
  7. OutInTheStiks

    OutInTheStiks Chillin' With My Peeps

    582
    2
    131
    Jun 23, 2009
    Thorn Hill, TN
    Quote:I have to agree 100%. It's inexcusable for any communication from a school to have errors in it. I was appalled at an English teacher at the school where I taught; she was constantly using subject pronouns after prepositions; you'd've thought it was a crime to say "me" instead of "I"; she did not know WHY she was wrong. I also had a principal who could not write a sentence correctly, and I raised such a fuss and filed a complaint with the school board against her; from then on she sent nothing out without my proofreading it. I can understand a math or history teacher's messing up; all it show is that he/she found language classes boring and/or didn't care all that much for the finer points of English. We all knew 95% of English grammar when we entered first grade, and NONE of us learned or know ALL of the other 5%, but for school administrators and/or English teachers to not know a great amount of the remaining 5% should be cause for their being fired.

    Shouldn't that be "all it shows " I'm just saying.
     
  8. HarlansHollowFarms

    HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

    Jan 16, 2009
    Quote:I have to agree 100%. It's inexcusable for any communication from a school to have errors in it. I was appalled at an English teacher at the school where I taught; she was constantly using subject pronouns after prepositions; you'd've thought it was a crime to say "me" instead of "I"; she did not know WHY she was wrong. I also had a principal who could not write a sentence correctly, and I raised such a fuss and filed a complaint with the school board against her; from then on she sent nothing out without my proofreading it. I can understand a math or history teacher's messing up; all it show is that he/she found language classes boring and/or didn't care all that much for the finer points of English. We all knew 95% of English grammar when we entered first grade, and NONE of us learned or know ALL of the other 5%, but for school administrators and/or English teachers to not know a great amount of the remaining 5% should be cause for their being fired.

    Shouldn't that be "all it shows " I'm just saying.

    [​IMG] no one proof read his post!
     
  9. Whirlwind

    Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

    Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Not exactly the same thing but my sons 3rd grade teacher told him the sun was not a star. He came home and told me the teacher was wrong.

    He just could not understand how she could say that. What ever happened to " I don't know, lets look that up. "

    Could of been a good learning experience for the whole class.
     
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  10. joebryant

    joebryant Overrun With Chickens

    Quote:Shouldn't that be "all it shows " I'm just saying.

    [​IMG] no one proof read his post!

    Yep, it sure should've been "shows".
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by