We are first time chicken farmers

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Hultenschmidt, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Hultenschmidt

Hultenschmidt New Egg

Sep 18, 2016
    Hello. Husband and wife here that just started raising chickens for fun and a little help with food for the house. We let them free range through the summer, but winter is coming so we made a coop for them to stay warm though the winter. We had a hen hatch a brood mid August and left them out on their own and they were not very successful so the next brood to hatch we brought inside with a heat lamp as it is getting below freezing at night already around here. We have a lot to learn and a budget to keep in mind. It's been fun so far and we look forward to learning more and being successful

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. I highly recommend you visit the "Learning Center," above - just click on the brown rectangle and it will take you there. It's a great start for a poultry education. Other forums well worth reading ; coops section, predators, Raising Backyard Chickens,. If you put your state name in the search box it will take you there. You can post on your state thread and see if there are any BYCers in your area.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome. Great to have you with us. Diva's advice on the Learning Center is super. Also, wish I lived where you are....I am ready for some cool weather! Good luck to you! :)

4. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, and welcome to Backyard Chickens!

5. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

6. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Welcome to Backyard chickens!! I hope you enjoy it and the camaraderie here and everybody that goes nuts over chickens (me being one of them....) Have fun! And ask questions! Check out our learning center! It has loads of helpful info!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    WELCOME! [​IMG]

9. Hultenschmidt

Hultenschmidt New Egg

Sep 18, 2016
    Thank you all for the warm welcome. This site and forum is chicken information and support like one stop shopping is at a major department store. Lol. Lots to see and read on lots of topics. Thank you again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by