WE ARE IN LOCKDOWN!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rnchick74, Jan 28, 2015.

1. rnchick74

rnchick74 Urban Chick Keeper

May 3, 2014
    Louisville KY
    I've got 7 eggs in my new Brinsea Mini Adv: 6 Tolbunt Polish & 1 Isbar (bonus egg from breeder). I've had a lot of problems deciding whether the Isbar is alive or not - can barely see through the shell - it's darn thick & dark in there! And I'm using a Brisnea ovaview candler too!

But today, I think I see movement!

The Tolbunts have been quite active from early on - lots of movement. 1 of them was either really resting hard, or has recently expired - time will tell, but there was no movement at all in 1 of the eggs & there had been a couple of days ago.

2 eggs were chirping - so that means they have internally pipped...correct? I used to hatch parrots a long time ago, but it has been ages & I have slept since then. The mechanics are the same & theories are similar but there are significant differences as well...

So, I filled both chambers; put some non-skid rubber drawer liner down for hatching; and now we wait. I guess I better get the brooder out & set up too!

2. nab58

nab58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    CT
    I too, have a new mini advance. I'm on my 2nd hatch with it now. I have 5 easter Eggers on day 10. The other two were dead and I removed them.

Did you use water before lockdown? I did on my first hatch but found they were not losing enough weight so I let the water dry up and only filled both wells at lockdown.

Best of luck with your chicks. It should be any time now!

3. WhatRooster

WhatRooster Out Of The Brooder

How exciting! [​IMG]I hope you have a great hatch![​IMG]

4. rnchick74

May 3, 2014
    Louisville KY
    I did use water before lockdown. The 1st few days I used the amount as directed in the manual, but when I did my 7 day candling, I found that the air cells were not where they needed to be, so I ran it mostly dry until day 12 (just a barely damp paper towel square - 1 inch x 1 inch)...then the air cells were spot on. I then reduced the surface area by 1/2 until today. Right now I've got both wells filled. I wish there was a way to do a humidity/temp probe without sacrificing space inside.

5. nab58

nab58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    CT
    I agree. Otherwise I really like the incubator.

Have you noticed yours getting louder when it rotates or am I just imagining it?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  6. rnchick74

May 3, 2014
    Louisville KY
    I think mine is only loudest when I am on the phone, or trying to sleep & can't!

7. rnchick74

May 3, 2014
    Louisville KY
    UPDATE!!

This morning there were 4 pips...

Around 10:00 ET, 1 zipped quite quickly and withing 1 hr of zipping, a tolbunt was hatched!!! This little cutie is now walking all over everything in the incubator trying to encourage his/her hatchmates to COME ON OUT AND PLAY!!!

It looks like 1 other tolbunt is working on a slow zip now...

Let the fun continue!

8. JulesFlock

JulesFlock Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2015
    That's so exciting. I'm about 3 weeks from getting my eggs and I can barely wait.
    Hope the rest of your hatch goes well.

9. rnchick74

May 3, 2014
    Louisville KY
    Well, I've now got 2 out and 1 more on the way!

For those with small incubators like my Brinsea...when you have a couple of chicks out wreaking havok among the eggs what do you do? I hate to break lockdown & risk shrink wrapping any chicks that have pipped, but these 2 are like wrecking balls in there! Do I wait until they are at least 12-18 hrs old, fully fluffed/dry, and quickly grab them out with the biggest shell pieces?

What's the grand advice from BYC?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by