We are Legal!!!!

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by QuispamChiks, Apr 12, 2011.

1. QuispamChiks

QuispamChiks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2011
    Quispamsis
    Just got back from the town Planning Committee meeting and they have granted our request to keep our backyard chickens![​IMG]

Posted our story earlier this week in this section as "school Science project" and outlined the approach of going to Planning for a variance rather than a rezoning or Temporary Use and tonight we made our presentation.

Our 12 year old daughter took the lead on the basis she was thinking of raising chickens as a school project and she did admirably!
    Using her own words, and oversized index cards with her notes, she talked about the 100 mile diet, sustainability as well as the cool pets chickens could be and I worked the powerpoint for her.

Our neighbour provided a note with his consent and no objections:thumbsup
    The committee members asked a few questions about how many chickens she wanted (4 to 6), and noted that a few of them knew about "outlaw chickens" in the town and they also appreciated the fact we came in the front door so to speak.

So they did set a few conditions;
    Coop and run to be kept neat and tidy - (of course!, what kind of responsible BYCer would let their pets down?)
    Coop to be moveable and not permanent structure - ( whew, saves me from digging in concrete posts up on blocks instead)
    no roosters! ( - I did not want to wake up earlier anyways!)
    they want a report about our project at end of season to help them when considering other applications

So off we go to the hardwarestore to get the rest of the lumber to finish the coop!

Thanks to all for the forum pointers (whether they know or not!) as we relied heavily on info we gleaned here for our presentation![​IMG]

G & L

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Congratulations and well done! [​IMG]

3. Tres Amigas

Tres Amigas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    EA WA - 2 chicken yrs.
    Good for you and hats off to your DD - way to learn about local government! Enjoy!

4. GreenEarth

GreenEarth Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2010
    SW Michigan
    Congrats![​IMG]

5. ItsAZOO32

ItsAZOO32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Titusville, Fl.
    Quote:AWESOME JOB!!

6. Urban Chaos

Urban Chaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2011
    Austin
    [​IMG]

Great work! You guys are an inspiration to those working on legalization of backyard chickens. [​IMG]

7. SHillChickMan

SHillChickMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Western Kentucky
    Great job!

8. minichic

minichic Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Congratulations! Sounds like a well thought out and presented plan.

9. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Great! Good to hear a happy ending! [​IMG]

10. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Congratulations! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by