1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

We are not the only hatchaholics..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by growinupinfl, Nov 8, 2010.

1. growinupinfl

growinupinfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Pensacola
    My crazy Cochin hatched her eggs over the weekend, finally insisted she get off the nest and take her five babies to eat and drink less than two feet away. What does she do, eats some drinks some, looks in her nest, no eggs left. Literally lifts up my RIR who was in a box to lay an egg, reaches up under the RIR and tries to steal her egg, pulling it toward her with her beak [​IMG] .. Good lord..

So today we are on egg patrol until she realizes she is done sitting and has her babies!

Christal

2. Ibicella

Ibicella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2009
    Everett, WA
    Quote:Ok, this just made me laugh. I guess she's one of those mothers who enjoys the whole business of making babies, but ain't into kids that much. [​IMG]

Congrats on the chicks! [​IMG]

3. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    I'm just shaking my head here. Too cute!

4. growinupinfl

growinupinfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Pensacola
    I guess she's one of those mothers who enjoys the whole business of making babies, but ain't into kids that much. [​IMG]

Congrats on the chicks! [​IMG]

Ya know as I was taking the third egg from under her today, and realizing 3 of her five babies had moved over to the other broody hen whose eggs are also hatching I was thinking the exact same thing. Like's making them but not much for raising them. I pulled the egg out she started to fuss at me then one of the chicks pecked her in the eye. Even the babies are getting annoyed with her..[​IMG]

Hopefully tomorrow she will have gained some sense.. If not I'm about to give all the babies to the other hen and throw her out of the coop for a few..[​IMG]
    Geesh..

Christal​

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  5. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    This made me LOL! [​IMG] Hopefully she'll come to her senses soon!

6. Surehatch

Surehatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Georgia
    how cute!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by