We are planing a new Sparrow Ministries coop - Please offer advice

MIKE555444

Songster
10 Years
Jun 8, 2009
Pliny, West Virgina
We are happy with what God has done through Sparrow Ministries over the last year. God has blessed us in so many ways and we have met many interesting people through this project. Praise the Lord!

So.... we are planning a new building to house about 45 hens for the winter that will includes a sectioned off partition that has an egg washing station, feed storage, and refrigerator. Cleaning and packaging 30 – 40 eggs per day in our family sink has become a bit of a problem so we hope to be more efficient in the new facility. It has also became a problem to store 15 - 20 doz eggs in our family refrigerator. Cost is with out a doubt a very big issue but we hope to build something that will still accomplish what we need before winter.

I plan to have enough heat in the small, insulated, Partitioned side to prevent the eggs from freezing in that room. I will more than likely design some sort of watering system on the “warm wall side” that will keep both keep the water from freezing and also keep me from carrying 7 gals of water a day to them.

Here are the rough draft floor plans. It will be appox 12' x 24' overall. We hope to build something similar to this. We are only in the planning phase so any input/suggestions would be very much appreciated.

God Bless,

Mike

Coop-1.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=259465

Last edited:
Be encouraged brother,
big_smile.png

I am not an expert on anything, but your idea is awsome. I pray that God sends your way all that you need to build this. Amen

John 17:3

Last edited:
Mike. What kind of floor will you have in coop area?
Reason I ask is I have standing coops.
Even though it isn't that big a deal one of my coops is built for a hurricane. No idea what I was thinking. LOL! To heavy to lift now.
If I could I'd slant it just a bit so when I use pressure washer to clean it out or a hose that the water doesn't gather in one area then I have to sweep it out.
I'd try to put some sort of a drain area in yours if you plant to clean that side with water.
BTW....... I use a huge fan to dry my coops out works great.

Last edited:
Quote:
I'd love to make this a concrete floor... but I don't think I can come up with funds... So it will probably be treated wood. This will be 24 ft x 12 ft so it’s an immobile coop and I definitely will never try to move it. I was thinking about having the back side behind the roost to open (maybe with two double doors) so I could push the old bedding out the back and shovel it in the outside air. I wonder if it might make sense to tilt the floor some in that direction?

If you have a pressure washer or even good water pressure and a brush you'll appreciate having some sort of tilt so you can clean it out. Stick a couple big fans in there after wards and you'd be surprised how fast everything drys.

Back
Top Bottom