We are rookies/ newbies.

JeanneBen504

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 19, 2012
Pierce County, WA
Hello, still learning this site, one of my college professors told me about this site and I am finding it useful as I figure out more of this navigation stuff. We have some sex linx, a leghorn, an ortholop, a few cornish-x, and suppose to be 2 americaunas. We have 13 in all, several days ago I noticed one of our black sex linx hens incubating her eggs and hasn't seemed to leave her nest. We are a bit excited but also wondering if we should bring her food or is she going to "sneak out" on her own to get to the food in the main hen house? I have been asking around to find out how long the incubation time is and what do we need to do to "help" her? Mostly we just leave her be so she won't get stressed.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

(3) What breeds do you have?

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to BYC!!

I haven't seen any of those yet but I look forward to expanding our flock after the secondary "holding-pen" is finished. Do you know how long it takes eggs to incubate?

Quote:I noticed one of our black sex linx hens incubating her eggs and hasn't seemed to leave her nest. We are a bit excited but also wondering if we should bring her food or is she going to "sneak out" on her own to get to the food in the main hen house? 1. Had 100 fryers about 25 years ago. Got 5 Australorpes and 5 Light Brahmas in May of 2011 (along with a rooster of each) and last May - under duress by my youngest grandchildren - got an assortment of chicks that were all different. A clear cut case of chicken fever or chicken math or whatever, but I found I had too many chickens for my coop space. Before the chicks were old enough to be introduced to their elders, I sold all the one year olds except for one brahma and one Australorp.

2-3. I now have one Buckeye, one black sex-link, one Easter egger, one cochin, the Australorp, the Light Brahma, a mis-sexed and probably mis-named rooster sent as a cuckoo maran that looks like a barred rock, and one hatchling from last year's flock - a cross called Nesco from the Australorp, Monte, and a light Brahma. He was hatched in a Nesco roaster after the brood hen tossed out all the eggs.

That makes only 8 chickens - 2 roos and 6 layers - for us right now with room for twice that many to which grandson said, "Yea! that means we can get 8 more chicks next spring!"

Yup! These things grow on you. They are so much fun and provide eggs as well.

Hey, welcome to the gang!

Love, Smart Red

Back
Top Bottom