We are sooo excited...!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by weluvourchicks, Mar 3, 2015.

1. weluvourchicks

weluvourchicks New Egg

Mar 3, 2015
    Cumming, GA
    My name is Sofia. Me and my daughters, Marley & Gianna, are new to keeping chickens and we are really excited [​IMG] We just got 6 baby chicks yesterday! They are all hens and we've loving named them Felicia, Jenny, Mrs Chirpsalot, Chubby, Chibbi, and Nugget McFly [​IMG] We look forward to getting to know you guys

2. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

Glad you have joined!

Any questions?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  3. weluvourchicks

weluvourchicks New Egg

Mar 3, 2015
    Cumming, GA
    Hey [​IMG] thanks for the welcome [​IMG]
    I'm trying to check out all these different breeds of chickens that I didn't even know existed! We got 6 pullets from Tractor Supply, as that's all they had, and they said they only sell females. Now I've noticed some folks on BYC have ended up with roosters after being sold "hens"...how will we know if that happens to us? And are Pullets a good breed? My girls are 10 and 14 years old and the chicks are for laying but also for pets, did we get the right breed?

4. LoveThemBirds

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    What are the breeds?
    You know you have a rooster when you see some more late maturity before hens,and they are somewhat aggressive,and ggave dark cherry combs..

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Pullets are a term for young females, young males are called cockerels. If your store only sells pullets, I would give them the benefit of the doubt. You'll know if you have males by accident, they will start crowing, whereas your females will lay eggs when they are old enough. If you put up photos, we may be able to tell you what breeds you have. Good luck with your new birds.

6. weluvourchicks

weluvourchicks New Egg

Mar 3, 2015
    Cumming, GA
    [​IMG]

This one is Nugget McFly

7. weluvourchicks

weluvourchicks New Egg

Mar 3, 2015
    Cumming, GA
    [​IMG]

This one is Chubby

8. weluvourchicks

weluvourchicks New Egg

Mar 3, 2015
    Cumming, GA
    [​IMG]

That is Jenny in my daughter's hands [​IMG]

9. weluvourchicks

weluvourchicks New Egg

Mar 3, 2015
    Cumming, GA
    I have no idea what breed they are then...the guy told me "Pullet" was their breed, but I'm starting to think he might not have known what he was talking about lol

10. LoveThemBirds

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    As the other user stated,pullet is not a breed,it stands for Teen Hen.

It looks you have leghorns,possible buff Orpington,or is that shade covering the chick?The black one could be,Australorp,Dominique,or black sex link.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by