We are soooo excited first eggs in the incubator this morning!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by motherhen7, Jan 13, 2015.

1. motherhen7

motherhen7 Just Hatched

Jan 13, 2015
    So,a friend of ours gives us dozens of eggs per month and I think some may be guinea eggs, worse case scenario they are a chicken that lays small light brown eggs. Can I lock down on day 18 and if they are not chicken is it possible the keeps would still hatch on day 28ish if they are not chicks locking down so early? Thanks!

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Yes you could lock them all down at day 18 to see what hatches. There may be the risk though that any guinea eggs (if they are guinea) will not hatch and that is the risk. Not being turned and the high humidity for lockdown could affect them. It really is a catch 22 situation with different species being incubated all at once.
    But then on the other hand nature is a fantastic thing that can shock us all and they may hatch ok.

Wishing you the very best of luck with your hatch :fl

3. motherhen7

motherhen7 Just Hatched

Jan 13, 2015
    Hi!thanks for the positive words. My heart tells me that it is more likely that they are a type of chicken egg but the size and color look so similar to guinea eggs and we gave our male and 3 females to this individual last summer so it is possible since they coexist with chickens in a yard that the hens could have followed suit and lay their eggs in the chicken nesting boxes :)

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
  5. motherhen7

motherhen7 Just Hatched

Jan 13, 2015
    Thank you! I will try to upload some :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by