We are still building our coop but I have a question...?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by OScarlet, Aug 13, 2013.

1. OScarlet

OScarlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2013
    The floor is about 12" above the ground and there are 2x4s framing underneath so I guess there will be about 10"-11.5" clearance under the coop. Is that enough for full size chickens (we have an ameraucana, astralorp, BO and a SLW) to go underneath? If so it would probably stay nice and cool in summer and I will put wire all around the bottom.

Boy it is taking a long time, two coats of primer and two coats of topcoat on everything is wearing me out! Those expensive ready made coops don't look that expensive any more.

2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    That is fine. Solid floors are best for your coop, wire can break chicken toes.

3. OScarlet

OScarlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2013
    edited to add picture to help explain
    [​IMG]
    Sorry, I didn't explain well, we have a plywood floor covered in vinyl. I meant if the space was big enough for the chickens to fit under the coop I would put wire down to the ground on the 'walls' at the base of the coop.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  4. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Okay that's a lot better. I still think that's plenty of space. I've seen my Production Red hens crawl under 5-in gaps with ease.

1 person likes this.
  5. rehric00

rehric00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    They should be fine, but if not, you could always go around with a decorative lattice!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by