We are TTC..or maybe I should say TTH

2boxers

Songster
11 Years
Feb 16, 2008
Halifax Co Virginia
Trying To Hatch.

I don't have an incubator and we will be doing it the old fashioned way-letting a hen set. Right now, my only broody hen is a silkie bantam. I have a plethora of (potentially) dumb questions.

1. How many eggs can I reasonably expect her to set on at one time. I want to try for two. Is that too much?

2. Do I need to separate her from the flock now or is it best to wait, or should I do it at all before any eggs hatch?

3. My silkie eggs are being fertilized by a very large RIR roo. IS that a problem? My mental image on this one is a toy poodle female being impregnated by a great dane.

4. One of the hen eggs I want to try to hatch is from an older hen-like four years old. Are they anything like human eggs and is there the potential for a freak of nature chick because of the hens age?

See, I told you I had dumb questions
big_smile.png

5. Any advice, tips, warnings?

Almost all of my chickens are mutts-I have a RIR roo, two BR and a SLW hen, plus the silkies. I know my roo has been gettin busy with every one because he's not at all bashful or discreet about it.

Lollipop, thank you. Very good information! I swear, I am as nervous as when I first found out I was pregnant. I've got my husband building a brooder box right now-made him stop working on his Sunday School lesson to get to it!

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom