1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

We arrived!!!!!!!!!!!(please read all)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by coltsrox, May 24, 2008.

1. coltsrox

coltsrox Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Maggie Valley, NC
    Hey guys!!! we arrived from florida to nc form 9am to 11:30pm and our 2 chicks traveled great!!!! They started chripin real loud at 8:45 telling me they wanted their perch to sleep on, not their luck! so they stayed up with us and then when we arrived at 1am i assembled their hutch toegther, i know obsessive! my girl dog is part boxer but when she saw me asssemnble it she was whinin and i;m scared to leave their hutch where she can gain access, i dont think she can get in but she is really curious and i'm scared one day i'll find them dead!help!!!
    http://www.pets-warehouse.com/pic-s/SWM01550.jpg

thats what my hutch looks like.can she get in?

on to funnier things! since they did not sleep until 2:30am they didni't crow until 10:30 this morning!!!! its histerical cause we always stay up late and now their Miller chickens!!!! anyways i wanted reassurance of my boxer but also to thank yall for the traveling advice!!!

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Glad to hear you arrived all in one piece!

If the lock on that hutch is strong then I don't think that a boxer could possibly get into it. Hardware cloth is pretty much predator proof. The only way that your dog might be able to get into trouble is if she is able to actually tip the hutch over forcing the door to open or break apart. (I've seen this happen.) So, make sure she can't behind it or in someway push it over.

Good luck. Aren't chickens fun??[​IMG]

3. coltsrox

Mar 24, 2008
    Maggie Valley, NC
    thanx for replying you think its fine, she jut whines and whines as she stares at them, and she is only part boxer mostly lab. but they kill anything that comes in our yard.

4. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I can just hear her... "Chicken dinner! This stupid wire is so in the way ... how do I get to that chicken dinner? Someone please let me have just one..." [​IMG]

Poor doggy.

5. Kessidy

Kessidy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    I haev a bulldog and she thinks that the chicks would makegreat play things. I always keep her in a seperate rooma nd close the doors. Darn dogs.

Glad you made it safely.

6. coltsrox

Mar 24, 2008
    Maggie Valley, NC
    again thanx for replyin and oh boy chickens are fun! i think she is fine so long as i don't handle them in front of her....hm....thanx chirpy u made me laugh so hard!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by