1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

We ate my pet rooster today

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Blue Ridge Hillbilly, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Blue Ridge Hillbilly

Blue Ridge Hillbilly Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2009
    Western NC
    We ate my pet rooster "hoppy" today. Yummy! Actually he was the main ingredient in large pot of Chicken and Noodles. Hoppy was a large Barred Rock rooster. How does Barred Rock compare to other meat varieties?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I think in chicken and noodles it probably tastes like any other chicken. Glad you were able to put him to good use.

3. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    I was preparing to give consolations and back-pats... Good on you for your practical outlook, Blue Ridge Hillbilly! [​IMG]

4. luvinrunnin

luvinrunnin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    YOu are better than I!! I can't make myself do it. I'd love to raise some meaties, but dang, I'd HAVE to find someone to process them for me because I know I can't. Glad he tasted good! LOL

5. mcf3kids

mcf3kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    My favorite rooster is in freezer camp and will be a nice meal soon. It is hard to part with the favorite one but I also felt as though I had put the hard work into him and if I were to try to find another home for him chances are he would be in somebody elses pot. Nice job!!

6. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Quote:I felt just like you this spring. It gets a lot easier. Never the most pleasant thing at the moment of truth, but the results are tasty. And, in the big picture of modern agribusiness, having someone else do it is just shifting the blame, IMHO. But, if its truly not for you, that's fine, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by