1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

We bought a chick, discovered it has an injured leg. What do I do?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tmfineg, Feb 8, 2012.

1. tmfineg

tmfineg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2012
    Gallatin TN
    Do I call breeder and ask for replacement? Is there an unspoken return/no return policy?

I bought 4 two day old chicks. One seems to have an injury that prevents full range of motion of leg. It does not put much weight on the leg, it kind of slides back when it stands. If I keep this chick any longer I will have trouble making a rational decision....my ten year old is already in tears. Advice?

2. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
  3. newchicktochicks33

newchicktochicks33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2011
    Milwaukie, OR
    That also sounds a bit like Boutulism
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/19/botulism

My friend had a chick that I was watching for her and got this while my friend was out of town. :/ She drug its foot around and kind of tripped over herself. :( She finally passed away a couple days after I noticed her acting strange. This is just a possiblity!

4. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    botulism? That page doesn't say anything about it affecting the legs...

5. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2010
    Seminole, Oklahoma
    One of my day old chicks fell out of the cage, about four feet off the ground, the first night I had them. They are three weeks old now and she still cant use her leg. She keeps it up tight to her body and hops around on one foot using her wing on the opposite side to stabilize. I feel too bad to cull her and hope it will eventually get healed. None of the other chicks pick on her, so Im gonna just leave her be.

6. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I'd call the breeeder and ask for an exchange. The longer you wait, the more they may think it's something you did...

7. tmfineg

Jan 1, 2012
    Gallatin TN
    Thanks for the links. it is neither one. The chick can't totally straighten it's leg at the top joint. There feels like a mis formed tendon that is tight, not allowing it to fully straighten. There is a ring like scab around the leg too. Maybe someting wrapped around its leg while forming. The chick can roost on my finger which is a good sign. I cannot bring myself to cull it, so we will see how she does. Thanks for the thoughts.

8. tmfineg

Jan 1, 2012
    Gallatin TN
    I bought the chicks off Craigslist and the link to the email does not work anymore. I guess we will keep the chick. In the future i will check each chick over carefully before I leave. Thx.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by