We bought couple day old "East Indies Black Ducklings" and now in not sure if that is what we have..

Eichert87

Chirping
Jan 24, 2018
We bought these "East Indies Black Ducklungs" for my daughter to show in 4H. I found an awesome deal through a relatively local farm store. I was assured they were sexed and the breed we wanted. We picked them up 3-2-2018. They have grown at an alarming rate. Considering these are supposed to be bantam and only get to be 2 pounds at most, they are huge. If anyone has raised this breed, or cayuga (my suspicions tell me this is what I have) please let me know what you think. See attached pics... Biggest Male and smallest female.

Attachments

• 20180325_103416.jpg
    20180325_103416.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 20180325_103337.jpg
    20180325_103337.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 20180325_105657.jpg
    20180325_105657.jpg
    389.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 20180325_103512.jpg
    20180325_103512.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 26
I would say they are cayugas based on your hand size relative to the ducklings. And they look like they are already at least a pound. I’m sorry it’s not what you ordered. I hope you didn’t spend an arm and a leg on them. Indies are pretty expensive from what I’ve seen. I paid 8$ ea for my cayugas. But on the bright side you can still show them at 4H. That’s what we are doing with ours!

Some days I think mine are indeed east indies, as were the eggs I bought from ebay supposed to be, and then other days I am convinced they are huge and I must have been duped! So can't really help you other than to say mine did grow alarmingly quick and I had a lot more 'they must be Cayuga' days back then, so they could still turn out to be east indies, but as said it is hard to judge size by the pictures. I'm still trying to think of something universal that could be used for size comparison so I can get a definite answer on my own! Any ideas? :D

Here are my 4 at about 4 weeks if it helps you judge yours any? (that's a cat ball by the way, if it helps with scale) the angle I've taken it at makes the bath seem narrower than it is though to confuse you further I'm afraid

Some days I think mine are indeed east indies, as were the eggs I bought from ebay supposed to be, and then other days I am convinced they are huge and I must have been duped! So can't really help you other than to say mine did grow alarmingly quick and I had a lot more 'they must be Cayuga' days back then, so they could still turn out to be east indies, but as said it is hard to judge size by the pictures. I'm still trying to think of something universal that could be used for size comparison so I can get a definite answer on my own! Any ideas? :D
Can you weigh them? How much do they weigh now?

Can you weigh them? How much do they weigh now?
I have thought about it, that seems to be the only way to really know doesn't it as the only size info I can find on any duck tends to be by weight, not height or anything?
I borrowed a spring balance to weigh them as I don't have any bathroom scales, but not sure what I can put them in to weigh them

Well thank you @CayugaJana, you got me thinking again and I found something to use and I think I now have the answer, the one I was hoping for! My boy weights about 2 1/4 pounds which puts him in the bei range if I'm not mistaken? :D
So, @Eichert87 how do think mine compare to yours? You might still be in luck after all!

Back
Top Bottom