1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

We built an automated waterer! Pic & Video

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ChitownChick, Nov 2, 2017.

1. ChitownChick

ChitownChick Chirping

Oct 12, 2016
    Chicago, IL
    My husband built this automated watering system using PVC, chicken cups, and a toilet bowl valve. It's connected to our hose.

We are brainstorming how to add a heating element for winterizing; the length of the hose between the spigot and chicken run is the challenge. For now, we use the standard fountain with heated base in winter.

Let me know if anyone is interested in a more detailed how-to! :) Hope this is helpful.

20170811_120938.jpg

Pater est Pullis likes this.

2. My girls are on day 2, with the cups, and still haven't figured out the poppets, I show them, starting to get concerned.

ChitownChick likes this.
  3. ChitownChick

ChitownChick Chirping

Oct 12, 2016
    Chicago, IL
    try pre-filling the cups a bit yourself, and then as they drink the water at the bottom, they will hit it and release more water. Eventually they figure it out...

4. ChitownChick

ChitownChick Chirping

Oct 12, 2016
    Chicago, IL
    also, do you have the necessary pressure to fill the cups? if not, light pecking to the poppets won't be enough for water to flow

5. Will 3 gallons in a 5 gallon bucket, provide enough pressure?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by