We butchered our roosters today and I bawled like a baby.. Has anyone else ever had this reaction?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Krah24, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Krah24

Krah24 Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2013
    My husband and a friend were out back butchering the roosters..
    I didn't want to see it nor did I want it to happen but it had to be done.
    Someone came over and wanted to go back there so I took this person back there thinking my husband probably hadn't started yet because he just got out there.. Well there I see his friend holding a headless rooster (one of my favorite ones too) and I lost it.
    I knew that I was a sensitive person when it came to stuff like this but I don't realize just how sensitive. I'm still crying. I know.. What a pansy right?
    I can't help it. I was super attached to these roosters. I was the one who fed them and gave them treats and spent time with them.
    I knew from the beginning if any of our eggs hatched roosters that we wouldn't be able to keep them and I was hoping none would but three did.
    Despite knowing we couldn't keep them I kept spending time with them and even named them.
    I was hoping no one would notice them but alas they did and the city told us to get them out.
    We only have one neighbor and they loved them but the city happened to come by and do some work and saw them. Anyway I'm not surprised, I knew this day wpuld come but I'm still sad.
    This is a strange reaction I know! And it's not like I've never seen it happen before.. I lived with a family on a farm for a year when I was a little girl and I remember seeing chickens get butchered.. I hated it then too but I think I am far more sensitive about this case because they were mine.
    So I'm hoping someone out there knows this feeling and I'm not the only strange duck out there..
    Rant off. :/

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  3. Krah24

May 30, 2013
    Thank you, I'll check it out.

4. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    Nothing wrong with having compassion for your animals, whether they are intended as food or not. I have hunted since I was a child, had all sorts of pets and farm animals in and out of my life. I still feel some sense of remorse even when shooting a deer. That's what separates us from the rest of the animals on the planet.

5. MarcoPollo

MarcoPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2012
    Hot Coffee, MS
    I would feel the same way. [​IMG] When one of my hens died recently I cried too. She died overnight and I was sick with the thought of knowing that I was probably going to have to find a way to put her out of her misery. But she died overnight. I told myself to at least give her one night and now I wonder if she suffered and I should have helped to end her misery sooner. But I think it's normal to feel this way. Something about actually raising the animal that provides the food makes it a completely different experience to see their life end. I felt sadness and then finally acceptance and respect for the hen that provided me with breakfast day after day. Others might laugh at this reaction or think 'it's just a chicken' but that experience made me more appreciative of the food I eat.

And one more thing. I have known quite a few "hobby farm" owners and they will raise a pig or a cow and then send them to the butcher to be prepared for the freezer. I would imagine it's easier that way. Not just the fact that a butcher has the space, equipment, expertise, etc for the job, but that the one who raised the animal doesn't have to see it die. I don't think it's strange at all to cringe at the thought of butchering an animal you've raised.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  6. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I think we should not berate ourselves for compassion. [​IMG]

7. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    The fist time I had to cull chickens because they were ill, it was not easy. I didn't cry, but I felt terrible. Since they were sick and needed to be culled out of the flock, it was a bit of a relief to have done it though. It does get easier, but I think as humans we may always felt a bit "off" about doing it. Especially if those birds were pets or ones you raised yourself.

8. Krah24

May 30, 2013
    Thank you everyone for your replies!
    I'm glad to know I'm not alone.
    Things are better now. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by