We came under attack!!! oh no!!

ShadyChicks10

Chirping
8 Years
May 31, 2012
Orange County, NY
hit.gif
Oh no....poor little girl. My coop was attacked the other night and we had one casualty. It looks like one of our silkies got into the scuffle too, maybe he tried protecting his girls but he was not strong enough. What a sad sad day :( I've been keeping the coop door open at night so they can exit first thing in the morning but that is changed now and I will do my best to close it every night, it's just hard sometimes when i get home late. So I found some brown/grayish hair on the fencing (raccoon it looks to be), can my flock contract rabies or something else? The silkie has a small wound on his comb that looks to be healing but I want to make sure I watch for anything else too. What is recommended to clean a wound like this, hydrogen peroxide?

thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.

From what I have seen here on BYC is that chickens can't get rabies. And with brown/grey fur you might have a fox, coon or dog that attacked. I let my birds out about sunrise time or a little later, that way they can see any coons if they are around. And I always close and lock them in at dusk. or when I get home. I have many predators as I live in a wooded area.

Back
Top Bottom