We came up in the Newspaper!! Central FL Poultry law Changes!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Chicken7777, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Chicken7777

Chicken7777 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    North Jersey
    First off I would like to say thank you for the support that everyone has given us here in the BYC Forum this is such a great place where we can have our views heard and get help as well.

Due to hard work we were able to succeed in the poultry law change meeting we had this weekend here in Orlando, FL.
    It has been succesfull because we made it in the newspaper....I guess you can say myself! and part of the meeting.. LOL

Well I guess it is a start as this has given awarness of what people want and we are getting allot of possitive feedback, and we might have these laws changed very soon....

Please read the article below and if possible Please do write a positive comment on it to supporting how these laws do need to be changed.

I am happy to have been a part of something honest and righful, thanks again!

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/orange/orl-chickens-kept-at-home-022809,0,1648911.story

2. hennypenny9

hennypenny9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Yay for chickens! I think it's so silly the argument against them:

"He recalls one poor soul in Orlando a few years ago who felt tormented by a rooster that crowed day and night."

Um, what about my neighbor's dog that barks at all hours? And even worse, the back-door neighbor that insists on keeping three intensely bright spot lights on all night, shining directly into my bedroom? Both of those potentially interfere with my sleep, but I don't make laws against them...

And I take exception to this.:

"Dora looked blankly at him with black, beady eyes and went back to scratching the dirt."

It's subjective, as in, opinion. Journalism, I cry for you. Don't get me wrong, I want chickens to be legal, but I want my newspaper articles to be statement of fact, and "beady eyes" is not.

3. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:[​IMG] good job,
    I remember when Fla was a place where you could have most any type of critter. sigh times change I guess.

4. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:Mt Dora Fl, which is outside Orlando on the OBT has a 5 minute dog barking law for that..I have a backporch light too, but only enough to keep it lid up. So the neighbors could see intruders. If ou want chicken country live between Eustis and Orlando out in the horse country.It is awesome there.

5. hennypenny9

hennypenny9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Huh. Here there is no law against either of those. If you think the dog is being harmed (no food or water) then you can call. I guess if there is a noise law, then it should apply to all animals, including chickens if they became legal. Buuuuut, there is also no law against owning chickens in my town.

I've never been to Florida, but I'm sure it's great. I'd like anyplace that's sunny right now...

6. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:Huh. Here there is no law against either of those. If you think the dog is being harmed (no food or water) then you can call. I guess if there is a noise law, then it should apply to all animals, including chickens if they became legal. Buuuuut, there is also no law against owning chickens in my town.

I've never been to Florida, but I'm sure it's great. I'd like anyplace that's sunny right now...

Mt Dora is where a lot of rich old folks live /moved too and they dont like it when the dogs of the few locals that still can afford to live there bark. WE lived in Eustis bit due to zoning my kids were bused further away to MT Dora.
    I am glad that the law changes ,all those rich folks and snowbirds buying here were destroying the great rural cultural heritage of the area. Power to the little man.

7. Chicken7777

Chicken7777 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    North Jersey
    Well the thing is looks like everyone is catching on with urban poultry and hopefully we will have these laws changed. I think we are going to have a new meeting this month to promote it more and I actually got a call from someone in downtown orlando who owns a university saying how we can work together to change these laws soo it looks good!

Well thank you very everyone, please do write your comment for the article so that people see the positive feedback on keeping poultry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by