1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

We can eat duck eggs right?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckLover2399, Dec 4, 2011.

1. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG] My mother refuses to eat them. She says she is going to get sick because they aren't from the store. [​IMG] she won't even let me eat them! Or cook them for my dog! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    I love duck eggs more then chicken their deliciously yolky!

3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Uumm yes! Home grown duck and chicken eggs are far superior in quality and nutrition than store bought eggs ever will be.

4. DuckLover2399

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Quote:That's what I told her -_-

5. chikenlicken'10844

chikenlicken'10844 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2011
    My older sis' wont eat our duck or chicken eggs!
    Only because they're not USDA uproved!(we tricked
    her into eating one anyway! Then, she realized the
    egg tasted different, but ate it finally.)[​IMG]

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Duck eggs are higher in B12 and many minerals. They are also higher in cholesterol.

Some people - not so many from what I can tell - are allergic to duck eggs. Some who are allergic to chicken eggs report that they can eat duck eggs no problem.

I called our state Department of Agriculture and asked about marketing duck eggs. The gentleman explained the state laws that applied, and never once mentioned a problem with people eating duck eggs.

Would your mom listen to someone from a agricultural college or some other "expert?"

7. DuckLover2399

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Quote:I tryd telling her to call our FFA club, but she says that we don't know how to care for ducks so there eggs can't be good. [​IMG]

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    She just may have made up her mind, and reasoning won't work. That happens sometimes [​IMG]

Perhaps you can give the eggs to someone who really needs them.

I have a friend who won't eat my duck's eggs because she doesn't want to eat a duckling. I explained about how we have no drake, these aren't fertile. It didn't help. She's stuck.

You can write a story about this (changing names and locations, of course), and in a few years, publish it anonymously - folks might appreciate it!

9. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    yummy, great nutrition, best eggs ever! I love them WAY more than chicken eggs, even our home grown ones which are excellent.

some folks just get funny ideas stuck in their heads and no matter how well you counter their complaint, they'll just come up with a new reason. eat them yourself, just maybe don't mention it to her. when you've been eating them for 3 months, and you're still not dead, maybe you can tell her. [​IMG]

but she probably won't eat them anyway. people are funny.

10. DuckLover2399

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    My mom is such a city girl. I should be living in the country, with my dad. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by