We caught the egg thief! Pic included

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by patnjess, May 16, 2010.

1. patnjess

patnjess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    So I was outside yesterday taking care of things. My 3 yo was within a hands reach. She went to walk backwards and tripped over it. When she saw what it was she went balistic. So i chased it down, and proceeded to try and grab it, but it was quite willey and kept trying to bite me....so hubby caught it, then it reguratated an egg! Stinking snake. We let him go, across the street, and he turned around and came back, so next time he will have to meet his maker unfortunatly.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    He is very pretty though....

3. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Aw, let him have an egg or two. He'll do much more good than harm for you. I think thats just a garter snake.

If you're worried about him getting eggs, just gather them up several times a day.

4. BankerJohn

BankerJohn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Lecanto, Florida
    snakes... ICK

I know they have their place. It is just not on my property. You could relocate him further than just across the street. What about dropping it off in the forest behind Applebees in Inverness?

5. patnjess

Apr 2, 2010
    Yeah they would really like me then...hahahaha!

Quote:

6. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Quote:Exactly ~ that snake will eat more mice and bugs than eggs and is no danger to grown chickens.

We welcome garter snakes at our house and if they get a couple of eggs it is their payment for rodent/bug control!

7. LivinNewDreamInND

LivinNewDreamInND Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Quote:Exactly ~ that snake will eat more mice and bugs than eggs and is no danger to grown chickens.

We welcome garter snakes at our house and if they get a couple of eggs it is their payment for rodent/bug control!

I agree! He is harmless. It takes snakes 36/48 hours to digest and eat again... He will do you a lot more good than harm. Plus your son seems to think that he/she is very cool!

8. FiveHens

FiveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    It looks like a garter snake...if it is, he's a mammoth. But halo's right. He'll do much more good than harm. They are lovely to have around, eat rodents, and aren't aggressive to people unless you aggravate them them.

9. patnjess

Apr 2, 2010
    He does!!! he said, "mom I want a picture with the snake."
    Well I worry because next to the run I have baby chickens, ducks, turkeys. he would love to eat them, but I have not seen any missing.

I agree! He is harmless. It takes snakes 36/48 hours to digest and eat again... He will do you a lot more good than harm. Plus your son seems to think that he/she is very cool!

10. lovin'6chicks

lovin'6chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    Before you know it, your son will catch him again and be asking to keep him! That's the way it goes at my house, anyway! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by