We cooked the 9lb 16 week old meat bird.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by fasbendera, Nov 4, 2009.

1. fasbendera

fasbendera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Midwest
    I had posted a thread about the Meat bird we kept back from the 200 we butchered in August. I had questions about cooking. She dressed out at 9 lbs. and I roasted her just like a turkey and she was perfect. Not tough or dry. I did "age" her in the fridge for two days not on purpose but someone had suggested that and it worked out great. Next year we are going to leave a few more to let them get big and use as roasters. It fed eight of us with leftovers.
    The only weird part was how small her gizzard was. The birds from the same batch we did in August had bigger gizzards than this one so I don't know if it was a defect and it didn't effect her growth or eating but I thought it would be bigger and it was small maybe pingpong ball size.

Just wanted to share with all the other meat bird enthusiasts on here.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Most of ours dress out in the 11 1/2 to 13 pound range. Like you I cook them like turkeys and I really like them better than turkey. Some we stuff and some we don't. I want to put one on the rotisserie but I haven't done it yet. I usually simmer the carcass for soup after we have got all the meat we can cut off. Also made chicken caccatiore (sp) once. Browned the cut up pieces in a skillet and then finished it in the oven.

I love those big roasters. Glad you had such sucess with yours. Can't get chickens like that in the store.

3. Sam208

Sam208 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2009
    do you leave the skin on to roast them? are do you skin them?

sam

4. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    I roast chickens with the skin on. I have never skinned a chicken in my life. Seems to me if you skinned it the meat would dry out during roasting.

5. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    I never skin them, unless for some reason the skin's totally mangled. The skin's one of the best parts!

I have gotten store bought turkeys with a big chunk of skin missing from the breast. The breast dried out when I cooked it.

6. 3KillerBs

3KillerBs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    North Carolina Sandhills
    Quote:We ate an 8.27lb grocery-store roaster today. Absolutely delicious simply roasted with herbs. Seems that homegrown ought to be even yummier.

7. fasbendera

fasbendera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Midwest
    I cleaned it just like a regular meat bird. Skin on and roasted it. I say turkey because I couldn't find any info in my cookbooks for as 9 lb. chicken. I used the cooking temp for a chicken but the time for a 9lb turkey.

8. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    The more I read, the more I'm wanting to get meat chickens in the spring to try! How old was she to reach the 9lbs and what was the weight of the ones you processed in Aug?

9. TedsFarms

TedsFarms Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    wow, a 9lb chicken....I may have to try chicken sometime.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by