We did it! I have been a busy girl! Updated. Finally pictures

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by babyrnlc, Feb 14, 2011.

1. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    So today was my chemo, I was there until 3:30. Well they give me a steroid and I am always pretty hyper when I get it, so I came home and my mom and I designed and cut the wood to enclose the bottom of the coop to make two coops. I made the nest boxes (two that are divided. So 4 total) and I primer/sealed it. I will paint it in the morning and then tomorrow afternoon after it dries I will install it. We have some 2 month old chicks that we will put in the bottom and make the opening smaller (temporarily) so the little ones can go out and in, but the big girls cant. (We have let them play together and they do pretty well.)

When we were cutting the wood, my pump tubing came out (I have to wear a pump for two days and get it off on wednesday). We were joking if she sawed it, how would we explain it to the cancer place lol. They already had to give me a new pump case because I got paint all over the other one. (This time I covered it.)

I will post pictures when I get it done tomorrow. I am excited. I got spring loaded front opening hinges for the nest boxes (since they cannot open on top because they will be under the nest box.

[​IMG]

See to the right there, will be a front with a small door.

Then each side will have a nest box the same height as the one above, but resting on the 2x4 below. it will be the full width of the opening and divided into two. Then I have a 6in high board that will go the full width, on top of the nest box (that will leave a 2 inch vent on either side.) The floor to the coop above (is OSB) will be the ceiling. There is already a back door that opens.

I have one roost already to go in and will probably get another.

What do you think. Think it might work? Then there will be two enclosed 4x4 coops. So 16 sq ft total and we want 6 birds, though now we might be able to go to 8 [​IMG]

We are going to leave the floor open to the ground right now. (We are up to the high 60's and 70's, next winter, we will put a removeable floor in the bottom. Leave it open in the spring and summer. This is an old picture. We have enforced the bottom of the run with hard wire already. We are also going to make another run that can attach to the end of this one (this one is tarped for shade) and it will be 6ft x 12 ft. Because when we enclose the bottom, the run will go from 4x12 to 4x8,

So in a few months when our little baby EE get ready to go out to the coop, there will be room for 6.

Here is the bottom converted to a coop with external nestboxes
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

EGGSCELLENT work! You HAVE been a busy girl!

(I remember my chemo treatments - boy have things changed in 9 years - mine wiped me OUT.)

Congrats on being a survivor!

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You've had a busy day. Isn't it time to relax? [​IMG]

4. babyrnlc

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    Quote:Yeah, I am still wired. They give me decadron that is a steroid and it makes me hyper. I will bottom out on Thursday or Friday and will be "normal by Sunday"

This type fo chemo is not that rough on you. I don't even loose my hair. (It has actually gotten thicker and curly. Maybe because I started vitamins?)

Congrats on being a survivor also! I only have 8 more doses left. They are every two weeks. I hear I may get more tired at the end. We will have to see. I have thousands of people that say they are praying for me.

I will post some picture tomorrow of the finished product!

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    One of my granddaughters has Lupus/juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. Part of her treatment includes several chemo drugs. I understand the range of variations and the phases of recovery. I do like what you've done with your coop.

6. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Kudos to you and your mom!! Helps to have a sense of humor [​IMG]

Love the colors of your coop. Chickens are such happy creatures to watch, may as well make the experience even more fun!!!

7. ginormous chicken

ginormous chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    I like the pretty colors! You are making me think that maybe I should paint my new coop really cool colors and be different. Anyway... very nice job!!! [​IMG] Your chickens should be very happy in their new home!!!

If you have extra energy and the drugs haven't worn off, you can come paint mine!!! [​IMG]

P.S Nice job taking the chemo. in stride, I have heard from many it can be very hard.

8. JAHVREM

JAHVREM Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2009
    looks great!! now take a break!! love the colors, makes one happy to look at. take care, good luck, and best wishes.

9. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Amazing job!!! [​IMG] You and your mom can be really proud of the job you have done and your girls are lucky to have parents like you two looking over them! [​IMG]
    Thanks for sharing those pics!

10. babyrnlc

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    We finished it, but I did not get pictures.

We let the girls free in the yard while we worked on it. They loved it. We even brought the chicks out for a while. It was 72 degrees today. They were cute trying to practice flying and scratching. (they are almost 3 weeks old). The 2 month old girls took a dirt bath, they loved it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by