1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

We did it... Jake Went to Freezer Camp! First One for Us

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by speckledhen, Dec 16, 2008.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

This bad boy earned a spot in the Freezer Camp Hall of Fame. Started out a great boy, got the raging hormone disease and turned too feisty for my breeding program. He had a comb flaw that wasn't up to par anyway, but his bad attitude made this easier to do. Wasn't too bad, actually, the culling part. From 51 birds to 50. From 5 roosters to 4.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

[​IMG] I wont have a mean roo here either...they all meet freezer camp. ENJOY!!

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Congrats Cynthia. I'm glad it wasn't traumatic. Maybe he was being a jerk on purpose to help you along...

4. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    [​IMG] freezer camp [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

Quote:Could be. I'm glad I wasn't completely enamoured with him or it would have been so hard. Well, if it was just the comb flaw and he was an angel, he'd have been rehomed. There was just the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back yesterday, so off to freezer camp he went.

6. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Go Cynthia! Good Job.

7. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    I love it. That is the first time I heard the phrase "Freezer Camp". Glad to hear it was not too painful for you.

8. speckledhen

I cant take credit for that appropriate phrase. I've heard it on the old BYC for years. I like it, though! Perhaps just before you cull, you should say to the birds, "Have fun at freezer camp!" LOL. [​IMG]

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It is never easy to do but its not so bad either. Good job!

10. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    OK Cyn. I am at work and thought of you going "Have fun at Freezer Camp" made me laugh out loud. Now how am I suppose to explain that....[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by