1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

We did it! Our first baby chicks due Monday!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fowlplay, Apr 16, 2008.

1. fowlplay

fowlplay Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2008
    Townsend
    Hey All,
    Haven't been on the board for awhile...been so busy with the move into our new home. Finally though, we are settled and have ordered our first "batch" of chicks. We're getting 13 New Hampshire Reds. We understand they are considered good layers.
    We are so excited, we are beside ourselves! We're like, "is it silly to be this excited over chicks?" LOL. Maybe to some perhaps, but I know all you guys will understand all too well. [​IMG]
    Am looking forward to getting back into posting and reading all over this forum. Brace yourself for all my questions..LOL..
    You all provide an unbelievable wealth of information. Thank you, truly, from a very excited newbie!

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Welcome back!

Oh my, how could anyone not be super excited over getting chicks??[​IMG] I'm thrilled for you guys.

I know you'll love your New Hampshires.

Have fun!!

3. tygab

tygab Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    MA/NH border
    Hi next-town neighbor! That's awesome! Where did you end up getting your chicks from? Have you been to Brookside?

I'll want to see pictures!
    We are waiting for our order which should be here soon. At least it is finally spring (almost warm even) weather here!

4. fowlplay

Feb 25, 2008
    Townsend
    Quote:Hey tygab! What town are you in? We're getting our chicks from the Farmers Exchange in Leominster. There is one here in Townsend, but their chicks were all taken.
    What's Brookside and where is it? Is that where you're getting your chicks from? What are you getting?
    It's so exciting!!

5. tygab

Mar 14, 2008
    MA/NH border
    We're in Pepperell, but barely (right below Hollis).

We ordered through Agway in Littleton which is convenient since it's on my way to/from work. They are supposed to be here mid April (now?) but I know all the hatcheries are in full demand now so who knows for sure.

I checked out the Farmer's Exchange in your town only after we'd ordered. I've added it to my short list of nearby feed stores tho for supplies.

We got 6 EEs/Amera's, and 6 Black sex links (pullets). I am excited for them to get here.

Brookside is a big Townsend poultry farmer. I am not sure if he raises meat birds but he definitely has layers. They didn't have any chicks when we came by but if we ever want a four week old I know where to go now!

6. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    "Is it silly to be excited over chicks" Are you kidding me, I have some coming next month and I can't wait. Keep in mind I have 34 chickens already and eggs in the bator.

7. fowlplay

Feb 25, 2008
    Townsend
    Wow, you are close. We just recently moved here from Pepperell.
    We tryed Agway in Littleton, but we were too late. We're very happy with The Farmers Exchange so far. They've been very helpful and informative.
    Good luck with your chicks. I hope they arrive soon! (so hard to wait..lol)

8. tygab

Mar 14, 2008
    MA/NH border
    you moved from Pepp? that's funny. we moved from groton to pepperell (but we hope/plan to live here for a long time now).

well, anyway, yes keep me posted. It would be fun to share notes.

When are they coming in?

I am tired of waiting already!

9. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Oh you will love the NHR...I have one that is 4 weeks old and she is great. She is the biggest in the brooder, feathered and flying well. a little aloof but not aggressive, just bossy. [​IMG]

10. Cheep Mama

Cheep Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Michigan
    Congrats on the chick order!! If your excited now, just wait until your first egg!!! It will be the best egg you've ever tasted!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by