We did it! Processed our first roosters today, YAY us!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jossanne, Mar 5, 2009.

1. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    We had 12 BR packing peanuts, 18 weeks old, and we were tired of feeding them, so we decided today was P-day. We studied on here (thanks Frugal for your pics and instructions!) and gathered up all our stuff and started the process about 10:30 this morning.

Our first guy took 45 minutes, start to finish, and then the next few were 20-25 minutes each. By #5, we'd figured out a system where I took care of them while they bled out, scalded and plucked them, while DH processed the previous bird. By the time I had one plucked, he was ready to start working on it, and I grabbed the next guy. We were getting 1.5 roosters done in 15 minutes at the end.

We didn't buy a killing cone, so I just held them by the feet while we cut the carotid and they bled out. It worked fine, and I don't think we'll buy a killing cone for the next time. We've got 10 Cornish X Rocks coming in two weeks. I'll be interested to see the difference when we butcher them.

We didn't have a lung scraper, and DH just used a kitchen knife to scrape the lungs, etc., from the inside. It worked well. The lungs came out pretty cleanly. At this point, I don't see the need to buy a lung scraper.

We fed them starter for the first 8 weeks, then chick grower until 17 weeks old. The last week, they've been on layer pellets with the rest of the birds. They aren't as meaty as a grocery store bird, but they're not too bad. They weighed between 2.5 pounds and 3.5 pounds each, dressed out.

After they've aged in an ice chest full of ice for 3 or 4 days, we plan on canning them in jars. They should be great in casseroles, etc. Can't wait to taste them!

Here's me with the first one finished:
    [​IMG]

And here's my cute DH:
    [​IMG]

2. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    Great job, they will taste amazing

3. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    those look great!
    i am doing 2 myself this sunday..just trying to get over feeling like a jerk about it! [​IMG]

4. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Great job they look good. I skinned a few of mine liked it a lot better then plucking. We just ate the last of our meatie last weekend. Told my hubby today I want to order more.

5. jossanne

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Quote:HAHA I worked hard to not feel like a jerk about it. I carried them to where we were doing the actual killing, petting them the whole way, telling them they were going to rooster heaven with LOTS of lovely BR girls just waiting for them... it worked! I'm sure they went out with happy thoughts. [​IMG]

Good luck on Sunday!

6. Hens_And_Chicks

Hens_And_Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Ohio
    You did some mighty fine processing! Wish you lived closer to Ohio - you could show me a thing or two. I have 4 BR roos who have the same fate coming unless I find a buyer first. [​IMG]

7. Poohbear

Poohbear On a Time Out

Nov 12, 2008
    Texas
    I think you will find that your birds will not have all the excess fat processed fowl do and will be tastier. I've never put any up but I have eaten canned chicken from a neighbor in the winter. Made a good stew with it and it tasted FRESH! Glad to see your post. Thanks for sharing pics.

8. Puff of Fluff

Puff of Fluff Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats! [​IMG] You both did a great job [​IMG]

Do you have where that link is by any chance please?

9. Poohbear

Poohbear On a Time Out

Nov 12, 2008
    Texas
    I think you will find that your birds will not have all the excess fat processed fowl do and will be tastier. I've never put any up but I have eaten canned chicken from a neighbor in the winter. Made a good stew with it and it tasted FRESH! Glad to see your post. Thanks for sharing pics.

10. jossanne

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Quote:A few years ago, we decided to butcher packing peanuts. We followed instructions I found online for skinning, and leaving the entrails intact. We were so totally sicked out after the first one, that we just murdered the rest. [​IMG] Afterward I thought of lots of people who would have happily butchered them.

The one we did butcher stayed in the freezer for 6 months before we fed him to the dogs.

So after that nasty experience, I am calling today our first real experience butchering. We really felt good about plucking them and doing them the old-fashioned way. Somehow it seemed easier. Weird, huh!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by