1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

We did it...

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Lesa, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    We have had to cull two birds, due to illness...but we hadn't butchered any for the purpose of eating. Due to size restrictions, I am unable to keep my old chickens.(Well, okay maybe I'll keep two!) So, the kill cone works great. Don't think I could stand to do the deed without it. We opted to skin the bird, since we didn't know what we would be getting into with plucking. The videos make it look really easy- for a newbie it was pretty time consuming- but when finished, well, she looked just like chicken...The chicken is currently resting in the fridge and will be used for soup, later in the week.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Congratulations.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Plucking really isn't so bad -- after you get the pot and heat source and thermometer, or if you have a turkey fryer. And get the temp just right. It does take 10 or 15 minutes, though. Really, unless you just want to eat the skin, it's not worth it, for sure.

4. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    We always skin our chickens but I have hatched some really big breed roos so I think we will try beer can chicken for them and I know that means plucking.
    We just did a duck and it turned out super well so I may try that for our chickens, too.

5. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Nadine- is that on the BBQ with the beer under the chicken? A friend explained it to me once, but I wasn't eating chicken at the time- and I've long forgotten...

6. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Yes, you can actually set any can under it but DH leaves half the beer in the can and sticks it under the chicken to set on and then puts a cut lemon on the neck. It comes out extremely moist and tasty. We have really only done it with our home grown Marans but we may have done it with a JG, too. Still really good, tasty, moist and tender.[​IMG]
    There are lots of recipes. Try it out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by