We did it!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Bammony, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Bammony

Bammony Red-dress-less

Aug 15, 2008
    Salina, Utah
    Today my son and I killed and cleaned two rooster all by ourselves. He killed, I cleaned. This is something I've been wanting to do for along time so I wouldn't need to keep bugging my husband about putting birds in the freezer for me. It went smoothly enough. My son did a great job killing the birds on his own. I called a friend that has done this before to help me through it. So, with my friend on the phone, kids and dogs watching and knife in hand I started the first bird. I gutted the first bird so we could eat it whole. The guts smelled so bad. I almost puked a couple times. I didn't gut the second one. I just cut the meat off of that one. To make a long story short....I'm very proud of myself for doing this. I'm also proud of my son for being willing to jump in and help mom. WOO HOO!!!!! We did it!!!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Congrats! I'm really proud of you. We want to do that but haven't had any chickens to put in the stew pot yet. I honestly don't know how I'll do when it comes time for the deed.

3. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    [​IMG] Good for you and your boy!!! How old is he? My 8 year old son is a great help with butchering.

4. Bammony

Bammony Red-dress-less

Aug 15, 2008
    Salina, Utah
    Mine son is 7. He did great! Very brave boy![​IMG]

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Good job!

6. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Congrats! I was going to call you back and ask how it went but I can't seem to find my phone. I am glad you made it through it. I wondered when I was on the phone with you. I heard my text message chime on my phone but can't find it. Would you mind calling it so that I can locate it?

Congratulations again. I always knew you could do it!

7. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    Great job [​IMG] [​IMG] take pics next time.

8. Bammony

Bammony Red-dress-less

Aug 15, 2008
    Salina, Utah
    Thanks for your help with the birds Jared. I seriously couldn't have done it without your help. You're a good friend for putting up with my freaky calls. I'll be sure to call you when I need help with A.I.ing my birds! ROFL!

9. carress

carress Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    Orange county NY
    Congratulations!! It's a well deserved feeling of accomplishment;)

Any idea why the guts smelled so bad?
    The one time I processd a bird, they didn't smell much... Is it about wha they eat, if you cut the wrong thing, age of the bird, breed?? Any ideas?

10. Bammony

Bammony Red-dress-less

Aug 15, 2008
    Salina, Utah
    Hubby said it smelled bad cause I must have cut into some guts. All I know is it was sick. I've haven't been feeling well since I cleaned the birds and any funky smell is making my stomach turn! ew! My roos are free ranging birds so who knows what they'd been eating.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by