"We don't do that here.." .. OH YES THEY DID! Post # 33

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by texasgal, Jul 27, 2010.

1. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    So I called my PO just now to let them know I'm looking for live chicks tomorrow and they can call me when they get there ...

The lady that answered the phone says "We don't do that here .. mail will be up by 1100 and you can come check your box for notification."

WHAT?!?!

I said, "Um, yes you DO .. and always HAVE so I'll just call the postmaster .. thank you."

And hung up.

So I called the main office, instead of the pkg del number, asked for the postmaster, told her I was expecting live chicks and they could call me whenever they got there, no matter how early and I'd pick them up.

She took all my info, told me no problem, and she'd call me as soon as they arrived. I asked her to make sure all her employees were aware of that because I received "different" information when I spoke to _______________ at the pkg delivery ctr..

Maybe my little town is getting a little too big ...

"We don't do that here ..." **mutter mutter**

WHAT!?!?!?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  2. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    [​IMG] I guess you managed to sort it out, though!

3. BrewedInNh

BrewedInNh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Southern NH
    I worked for the USPS for 10 years. Whenever we got a crate of chicks our office manager was very eager to call the recipients to arrange pick up. He understood that the chicks needed to be in a controlled environment, and we couldn't provide that. Also, the sound of dozens of chicks was a huge distraction to the workers who all wanted to peak at them.

Same went for bees being shipped, except nobody wanted to be near them. [​IMG]

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I live 12 miles from a town of 6000, & they call me every time....except once, they made a special trip out to deliver some pigeons! They're awesome here & I'm good friends with my mailman & his wife( my cousin)

5. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Quote:[​IMG] Bet nobody peeked at the bees. [​IMG]

6. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Unless I'm reading your post wrong, perhaps it was your tone, that irked the clerk.

How much nicer it would have been to "request" them to call you instead of "order" them to call you?

My DD is moving to Texas I hope she doesn't lose her manners and forget she is a lady.

If you meant to say that you said , "could they call you" instead of "they could call you" . I apologize.

Still hope your chicks arrive safe and sound.

Rancher

7. texasgal

Apr 18, 2009
    Oh please, RH .. maybe it's my typing .. I guess I could have typed the whole conversation for you .. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Seriously, it wasn't like that .. They usually appreciate knowing that it's ok to call me at 0530 and I'll be glad to come get the noisy little peepers ..

8. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    Our sectional center an hour and a half away called us 7:30 AM on a Sunday, the place was alive with Spring chiks. They were calling everyone who had chiks there. After talking to the person who called us we found out alot of the people who work there grew up on farms or worked on farms as kids. All the farms now are cookie cutter housing developments. They'll be calling again next spring, we have 25 RIR Heritage breed coming. I may have to change to 58 yardbirds. I love chicken math!!! [​IMG]

9. texasgal

Apr 18, 2009
    Quote:On SUNDAY .. wow! That is great!

10. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    The last two boxes people have put holds on for me with "PLEASE CALL AT XXX-XXX-XXX FOR PICK UP" slathered all over the box just got delivered to me anyway [​IMG] Maybe I SHOULD be calling the post office to tell them I'm expecting packages!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by